Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

Even if an elk takes a step at 84 yards,he is still dead,he has a freaking kill zone the size of a satelite dish.An arrow will cover that distance in well under a second.

Deer move at 15 yards as much or more than an elk will at 80 if he is feeding and relaxed.

Everyone has THEIR ethics,stick to them and you will be an ethical hunter.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:53 AM
Banned

hmmmmmmmmmm

so if I go out and buya setup compound tonight from a pawn shop, an odd mix of arrows and old broadheads, don't practice shoot and go out tomorrow morning and shoot at/wound a couple of bigbucks you're fine with that, right ?

I mean, I'm legal in doing it, its my personal ethics, not yours - right ?

Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

hmmmmmmmmmm

so if I go out and buya setup compound tonight from a pawn shop, an odd mix of arrows and old broadheads, don't practice shoot and go out tomorrow morning and shoot at/wound a couple of bigbucks you're fine with that, right ?

Ha! I'm sure that TFOX assumes that the average hunter has something resembling a normal amount of common sense and intelligence. We all know that there are a multitude of folks who seem to be lacking in those areas.

Merriam-Webster defines "ethics" as:
1 - the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation.
2 -a set of moral principles: a theory or system of moral values.
3 - the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group.
4 -a guiding philosophy
5 -a consciousness of moral importance

"Ethics" arepersonalandextremely open to interpretation and debate (don't we know it). Ifsomeone went out and bought your setup as indicated above and went out hunting, would it be ethical? I guess it's totally dependent uponthat particularindividuals moral convictions. I wouldn't agree with it,but it's not my place to judge someone else or attempt to force them to accept my personal beliefs and moral convictions as their own. If it's legal and they feel that is acceptable, then I wish them all the luck in the world.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

hmmmmmmmmmm

Everyone has a right to there own personal ethics as long as they keep it legal. If your ethics aren't the "normal" you better be able to take some criticism from othersand if you can't,keepyour hunting ethicsto yourself.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

hmmmmmmmmmm

Ha! I'm sure that TFOX assumes that the average hunter has something resembling a normal amount of common sense and intelligence. We all know that there are a multitude of folks who seem to be lacking in those areas.

Merriam-Webster defines "ethics" as:
1 - the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation.
2 -a set of moral principles: a theory or system of moral values.
3 - the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group.
4 -a guiding philosophy
5 -a consciousness of moral importance

"Ethics" arepersonalandextremely open to interpretation and debate (don't we know it). Ifsomeone went out and bought your setup as indicated above and went out hunting, would it be ethical? I guess it's totally dependent uponthat particularindividuals moral convictions. I wouldn't agree with it,but it's not my place to judge someone else or attempt to force them to accept my personal beliefs and moral convictions as their own. If it's legal and they feel that is acceptable, then I wish them all the luck in the world.
LittleChief, I always appreciate your posts. They are well thought out and without malice. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Even if an elk takes a step at 84 yards,he is still dead,he has a freaking kill zone the size of a satellite dish.An arrow will cover that distance in well under a second.

Deer move at 15 yards as much or more than an elk will at 80 if he is feeding and relaxed.

Wow Todd, didn't expect this from you. Ever elk hunted? Ever track a gut shot elk? Good luck on a gut shot one, there tough animals so you better be damn sure you treat them right! One other thing, from my experiences deer stay still a hell of allot more then an elk usually does but what do I know.

Your right but some things are better left then said (84 yard shots with a bow). Hell that's a poke with a shotgun!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 AM
Banned

If your ethics aren't the "normal" you better be able to take some criticism from othersand if you can't,keepyour hunting ethicsto yourself.
that's a good line actually .......

Schultzysometimes I wonder who really hunts and who really doesn't reading these message board.

seriously []

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 AM
bigcountry

If your ethics aren't the "normal" you better be able to take some criticism from othersand if you can't,keepyour hunting ethicsto yourself.
that's a good line actually .......

Schultzysometimes I wonder who really hunts and who really doesn't reading these message board.

seriously []
Some people are after the trophy so much, they get tunnel vision. I sat this year and had the buck of my life walk 42 yards away. I practice constantly up to 60 yards with a compound. I have another buck of my life 25 yards away with my longbow. Nothing I could do.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

BC:

Your scenario is played out every year by most every hunter. We all make our own, similar decisions.

What gets meare the ones who choose to shoot (given your scenarios) and end up successful. Many feel that the end result justifies their decision.

Me, I respect your decision a LOT more than I admire their successes.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:44 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

BC:

Your scenario is played out every year by most every hunter. We all make our own, similar decisions.

What gets meare the ones who choose to shoot (given your scenarios) and end up successful. Many feel that the end result justifies their decision.

Me, I respect your decision a LOT more than I admire their successes.
Believe me, these two deer have been haunting me for months. It wasn't easy. I have made my bad shots, and have had that sick feeling"I shouldn't have done that", and followinggreen food pieces for litterly a mile.It sucks. I have never killed a nice 20" rack with my longbow, but position was horrible.

But one thing for sure, those incidenses kept me coming back for weeks every morning. Never saw eitheragain, guess they were passing thru.

Quick Reply: Is my arrow really heavy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.