Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is my arrow really heavy? >

Is my arrow really heavy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is my arrow really heavy?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my arrow really heavy?

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

Everyone has THEIR ethics,stick to them and you will be an ethical hunter.
hmmmmmmmmmm

so if I go out and buy a setup compound tonight from a pawn shop, an odd mix of arrows and old broadheads, don't practice shoot and go out tomorrow morning and shoot at/wound a couple of big bucks you're fine with that, right ?

I mean, I'm legal in doing it, its my personal ethics, not yours - right ?
Ha! I'm sure that TFOX assumes that the average hunter has something resembling a normal amount of common sense and intelligence. We all know that there are a multitude of folks who seem to be lacking in those areas.

Merriam-Webster defines "ethics" as:
1 - the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation.
2 - a set of moral principles: a theory or system of moral values.
3 - the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group.
4 - a guiding philosophy
5 - a consciousness of moral importance

"Ethics" are personal and extremely open to interpretation and debate (don't we know it). If someone went out and bought your setup as indicated above and went out hunting, would it be ethical? I guess it's totally dependent upon that particular individuals moral convictions. I wouldn't agree with it, but it's not my place to judge someone else or attempt to force them to accept my personal beliefs and moral convictions as their own. If it's legal and they feel that is acceptable, then I wish them all the luck in the world.

Thank you and well said.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: TFOX

Even if an elk takes a step at 84 yards,he is still dead,he has a freaking kill zone the size of a satellite dish.An arrow will cover that distance in well under a second.

Deer move at 15 yards as much or more than an elk will at 80 if he is feeding and relaxed.

Wow Todd, didn't expect this from you. Ever elk hunted? Ever track a gut shot elk? Good luck on a gut shot one, there tough animals so you better be damn sure you treat them right! One other thing, from my experiences deer stay still a hell of allot more then an elk usually does but what do I know.

Your right but some things are better left then said (84 yard shots with a bow). Hell that's a poke with a shotgun!

Schultzy,I just get tired of everyone telling others how THEY should hunt.If I head out west to hunt elk,I will be setup to take an 80 yard shot.Maybe I am a better than average shot but my hunting knowledge tells me when to shoot and when NOT to shoot.Anyone that shoots at an animal at that kind of distance walking will have issues.Most that take a shot like that can shoot and can read animals,period.

I have seen deer do things at 10 yards that would blow your mind and an animal at great distance would never do.Many deer are gutshot every year because they are shot at 10 yards when they were nervous or looking at the hunter when they shot,what makes that a better shot than one at an animal with an 12"-18" kill zone at 80 yards that has his head down munching on grass? This animals step will be a very short one,not a long stride and he will still be dead.

One of the best and most ethical hunters on this sight admitted to me he killed an animal at 93 yards.He has only lost 1 animal in MANY years of hunting and it was in the neighborhood of 15 yards.

This is why I say keeps your ethics yours and don't try to impose them on anyone else.[;

I forgot I even made that post,sorry it took so long to explain my point of view.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

BC:

Your scenario is played out every year by most every hunter. We all make our own, similar decisions.

What gets me are the ones who choose to shoot (given your scenarios) and end up successful. Many feel that the end result justifies their decision.

Me, I respect your decision a LOT more than I admire their successes.
Believe me, these two deer have been haunting me for months. It wasn't easy. I have made my bad shots, and have had that sick feeling "I shouldn't have done that", and following green food pieces for litterly a mile. It sucks. I have never killed a nice 20" rack with my longbow, but position was horrible.

But one thing for sure, those incidenses kept me coming back for weeks every morning. Never saw either again, guess they were passing thru.

I too have had a 170" deer at 30 yards(wide open shot) that I had to pass on,another 140" at 40 yards I passed on.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Even if an elk takes a step at 84 yards,he is still dead,he has a freaking kill zone the size of a satellite dish.An arrow will cover that distance in well under a second.

Deer move at 15 yards as much or more than an elk will at 80 if he is feeding and relaxed.

Wow Todd, didn't expect this from you. Ever elk hunted? Ever track a gut shot elk? Good luck on a gut shot one, there tough animals so you better be damn sure you treat them right! One other thing, from my experiences deer stay still a hell of allot more then an elk usually does but what do I know.

Your right but some things are better left then said (84 yard shots with a bow). Hell that's a poke with a shotgun!

Schultzy,I just get tired of everyone telling others how THEY should hunt.If I head out west to hunt elk,I will be setup to take an 80 yard shot.Maybe I am a better than average shot but my hunting knowledge tells me when to shoot and when NOT to shoot.Anyone that shoots at an animal at that kind of distance walking will have issues.Most that take a shot like that can shoot and can read animals,period.

I have seen deer do things at 10 yards that would blow your mind and an animal at great distance would never do.Many deer are gutshot every year because they are shot at 10 yards when they were nervous or looking at the hunter when they shot,what makes that a better shot than one at an animal with an 12"-18" kill zone at 80 yards that has his head down munching on grass? This animals step will be a very short one,not a long stride and he will still be dead.

This Isn't simple target archery, this Is fricking hunting and maybe a few people should learn to hunt a little better so they don't have to even think about taking a ridiculous 80 yard shot! Whether the shot Is close or far away their Isn't a person In this planet that knows what that animal Is going to do for sure so don't give me that line. I can't believe bow hunters even think about taking these shots, It really shocks me. I call It greed and lots of It!

One of the best and most ethical hunters on this sight admitted to me he killed an animal at 93 yards.He has only lost 1 animal in MANY years of hunting and it was in the neighborhood of 15 yards.
This means nothing to me. I had a deer possibly duck my arrow at 15 yards. Did he duck It or did I miss It? I thought he ducked It but maybe I just plain and simple ****ed It up and missed, who knows!

There are more Deer wounded and not found every year shot at 25 yards or less than there are shot at 50 yards or more.
My average yardage on all my kills has been 12 yards and I've wounded one animal (bear) In 24 years of bowhunting and I contribute that success to very high percentage shot opportunities but according to a couple guys In this thread close shots aren't as high percentage.

Crazy thread!!!

Sorry about the hijack MathewsShooter.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

IMO and my point is there are no slam dunks in hunting.Place the odds in your favor and don't let what other do bother you.Not saying you have to like it but it it shouldn't BOTHER you.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just get tired of everyone telling others how THEY should hunt.If I head out west to hunt elk,I will be setup to take an 80 yard shot.Maybe I am a better than average shot but my hunting knowledge tells me when to shoot and when NOT to shoot.Anyone that shoots at an animal at that kind of distance walking will have issues.Most that take a shot like that can shoot and can read animals,period.

This is why I say keeps your ethics yours and don't try to impose them on anyone else.[;

I forgot I even made that post,sorry it took so long to explain my point of view.
TFOX, very good post! I too get tired of ethics police, period. It's pretty hard to tell if a hunter is ethical or not just by judging the distance he has shot.

I've killed well over 100 animals with a bow and maybe a dozen of those were 40 yards or longer.

Actually to me in the right circumstance (that's the key) a 40 yard shot is easier than some point blank shots I've taken.

Year before like I said I passed a 170 class Whitetail at 8 yards because the shot was not there. I know lots of short range archers (so called ethical) that would have taken that shot. My experience told me No! Would I have liked to had that Buck?

You Darn right I would, but it was not worth a chancey shot and I felt what was offered was very low percentage.

Dan
Old 04-08-2009, 05:16 AM
Banned

Place the odds in your favor
that 84 yard shot did that for you didn't it ?