Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 let's talk about BHs and hitting bone... >

let's talk about BHs and hitting bone...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

let's talk about BHs and hitting bone...

Old 03-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: let's talk about BHs and hitting bone...

I firmly believe that using a head with a trocar type point is far superior to a COC type head when a bone hit occurs. I've never had any type of damage to trocar type head other than nicked blades. I have had COC heads severly bend on impact.
Allot of COC BH's aren't as strong as people think, but not all of them are weak. I myself will take a good strong COC BH any day over a chisel point BH.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year I was tracking the buck I shot and came upon a feeding doe. I had to make a quick shot b/c i snuck up on her and i placed my arrow about 3" too far right or were I was aiming and hit her in the shoulder. The opposite shoulder stopped the arrow (Rage3blade, axis 340, bowtech 101st 61#'s 290fps) and i watched her go down. I had 0 blood what so ever b/c the arrow snapped off in the shoulder, but she was down within about 8 seconds and done

My experience was a positive one, but it was a close call b/c of the blood situation. If she wouldnt have went down quick i would have been screwed... The only thing that it did to the bh was bend a blade and thats it. It definately did its job and im not scared to shoot the rage 3 blades again. I WILL be packing slick tricks this year though and i plan on using both the rage and the ST MAG. The ST's are amazing flying fixed blades.

Derek
Old 03-26-2009, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree 100% with meanv.The deer in that picture was not shot anywhere near the shoulder blade.it was in fact,shot through the softest part of the shoulder.I hear so many people claim that they blew through both shoulder blades of a deer,which is almost an impossible feat with archery equiptment.Unless the angle is severe,your chances of hitting the vitals aftergoing through the shoulder blade or shoulder bone is slim at best.

By the way,congrats on the shot that was made.It was a textbook perfect shot but it didn't go through the shoulder blade itself.