Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 let's talk about BHs and hitting bone... >

let's talk about BHs and hitting bone...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

let's talk about BHs and hitting bone...

Old 03-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: let's talk about BHs and hitting bone...

I recently shot a hog in the front shoulder, i accidentally hit to low (range estimating error along with steep angle) and hit the lower part of the shoulder, going all the way through, then hitting the first lung, then snapping the far side leg in half. I was amazed at this penetration and couldnt believe the damage that was done. The hell razor performed great and is now my broadhead of choice
Old 03-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

2 days before Christmas last year, I took a late season doe in whichthebroadhead stopped in (but destroyed)the off shoulder from a quartering-away shot. Like MeanV2 said, Slick Tricks are someheavy duty little fixed blades. I shoot the ST Magnums, and I don't think I'll be changing broadheads anytime soon.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

There are several good broadheads out there that will hold together and bust bone. The ones I would stay away from would be mechanicals. The strongest would probably be the cut on contact heads, then fixed/replaceable heads like the Muzzy/Slick Trick. I've stuck a some Muzzy 125 3blade right down through the spine from almost straight above and a couple that went either through a leg bone or through the opposite shoulder..most I every had to do was replace a single blade once in awhile.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hit the near side shouldar of the buck in my profile pic. Just an overall bad shot on me. But, it blew through this shoulder and almost all of the arrow was stickong out of him on the other side when he ran off. He piled up 50 yards later. This was with a Rocky Mountain Snyper XP3 head. I'm moving away from the mechs this year, back to either a Muzzy or Slick Trick.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over the years I have had many bone hits. Some with fixed blades, some with expandables. Some of them turned out okay and some not so well.

Last year I had two bone hits. The first was with a doe. 13 yard quartering away shot, the arrow exited thru the off side arm pit and then re-entered into the off side leg, breaking it in half before exiting. The second was a buck, 27 yard broadside shot. The arrow entered thru and exited the shoulder blade. Went thru it like warm butter. Both of these shots were with a Rage 2 blade. I had questions also about the Rage's penetration and thought these two shots cured me of any worries. However, I later shot another buck and only got about 12-14" of penetration. It was a 32 yard broadside shot, no bones encountered other than some ribs, arrow was placed right on the money. I still don't understand what happened there, but it was enough that I am going back to a fixed blade. I might have to give the Tricks a try, I have NEVER heard a bad review about those heads.

Here is a picture of the shoulder blade shot.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

It maybe the way that deer is laying but it looks like it missed the shoulder blade to me.
The area right there is actually one of the softest areas on a deer.

Dan

Old 03-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

It maybe the way that deer is laying but it looks like it missed the shoulder blade to me.
The area right there is actually one of the softest areas on a deer.

Dan

The leg is pushed foward in the picture, but it got both blades. I was really amazed, as I knew I hit a few inches forward of where I wanted to be.

I wish I had pictures of the other buck's entryhole, as I still do not understand what stopped that arrow.

Either way, I believe the Rage is a good BH, but I am still going to change things up this year.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

The shoulder blade is pretty high on a deer as noted in the picture.

If I ever shoot through a Shoulder blade I'll post a pic of the actual blade not the hole in the deer. A lot of guys I've witnessed say they shot through both shoulders in actuality did Not hit either one. (not saying that's the case)

The blade might be able to be shot through on the thin part with a solid setup and ample KE, but the lower part of the blade you are not shooting through with thearchery tackle that 90+% archers are shooting

Believe me! I used to shoot 90# and 80# setups

Dan
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Spike

Last November i shot a 6.5 year old 5x6 Smack in the hardest part of the shoulder [:@]! I was actually very worried about the hit, waited about 6 hours to go track the deer. When we found him he had went 75 yards and piled up. I shot him with a 100 gr Shuttle T-Lock, the broadhead was virtually un harmed! i Was amazed!!When we skinned the deer you could see where the head went through the shoulder, It was amazing that it could even get through that let alone out the other side of the deer! I will be shooting these broadheads a long time. They fly great and the strength is unreal. I hope they are the same now that Trophy Taker bought Tight Point, They say they will be. I guess we will see
Old 03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hit a big buck while I was on the ground right in the shoulder, he was broadisde at 20 yards when I drew, he turned towards me slightly and I thought I could make the shot. Im very confident in my shot but it was just one of those things. I found my arrow and it about 6 inches broke off so Im sure it was hard bone that I hit. I rarely hit an animal and dont recover it. I'll never take that shot again, although looking back I should have shot behind the shoulder a bit more. We had a real good blood trail for the first 20 yards then just dried up, I knew it wasnt going to end good unfortunately after that. Thanks goodness I saw him a week later, limping badly but he was alive. We also saw him a few more times and his limp was almost gone in January. I got this video of him a week after the encounter from 300 yards in early November, no tripod so its a little shaky. BTW, he walked right under my stand I was heading to when I shot this video. It looks like you can see dried blood down his front leg, but I may be wrong??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RyYhUekrXQ&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjzFPNmdwiI&feature=related

Quick Reply: let's talk about BHs and hitting bone...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.