Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
keep hitting arm >

keep hitting arm

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

keep hitting arm

Old 09-16-2002, 08:36 PM

Default keep hitting arm

Being shooting the Legacy now for about 2 months.Shot a Browning for years. With the Legacy Iam hitting my arm guard with the string all the time. Does this effect my arrow flight? And how do you correct it? I know it is wearing my Zebra string. Bow weight is set at 55lbs
Old 09-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: keep hitting arm

Of all the times I have seen this, most of the time its too long of a draw length. You are stretching yourself out too much and not having a nice, natural bend to the bow arm. Stance is also a common problem, though I dont like to really consider this because most of the deer I hunt won't allow you to use olympic class form from the tree. Take your bow to a shop and explain to them and have someone there watch you draw and aim. Chances are, you will need to shorten up your draw some.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to say too long a draw length.
maybe the sting has stretched to the point you have to lock the elbow on your bow arm.
But I do suggest you go to the pro shop and have them check it out
Old 09-17-2002, 01:01 AM

Had the same problem with a new bow this year... I have shot for years and never worn an arm guard... After about the first 100 arrows I started getting a slap right where my watch band would be... The string and cable had stretched, took it by the bow shop and had them shorten the draw a half inch and took care of the problem... Draw your bow and if you can lock your arm out straight your draw is too long... Take it by your bow shop and have them shorten the draw... GH

Jeff,
[email protected]
Old 09-17-2002, 02:31 PM

GISSMO,
I WAS HITTING MINE LAST YEAR AND HAD A FRIEND WATCH ME SHOOT. MY DRAW LENGTH WAS TO LONG AND I WAS TORQUE[CANT SPELL]THE BOW.

tracey moore
Old 09-17-2002, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bad grip/form and its almost a given yur draw length is too long!

PRACTICE....PRACTICE....PRACTICE......SUCCESS!
Old 09-18-2002, 03:06 PM

Sound like it could be you draw length. Also check you grip on the bow, you may be flexing your forearm in. Try gripping with your thumb and index finger and pointing you little finger away from your bow. This will keep you from flexing in.
Old 09-19-2002, 06:26 AM

Did your pro shop sell you one off the shelf or order you one. I saw where a shop tried to modify one off the shelf the make the draw length fit a customer so they wouldnt have to order one. When the customer took the bow to another dealer to have it worked on the dealer called mathews. Mathews told the the customer to go back to the original dealer and they would be waiting for him so they could order him the proper bow......your pro shop might have sold you one with too long of a draw length because that is what was on the shelf. If so call mathews!