Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you shoot with your non dominant eye? >

Do you shoot with your non dominant eye?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you shoot with your non dominant eye?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you shoot with your non dominant eye?

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

noI don't and its a myth that you have to shoot dominant hand with dominant eye

closing your non-dominant eye is just plain silly too - do you close it when you drive? when you pour coffee? when you throw a baseball ?
Thats not true, myfriend shoots lefty, and he tried opening both eyes to shoot and he nearly shot the arrow off the wall.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Is there a way to change your dominant eye? Train the other to be more dominant?

I just realized I'm cross dominant but have no issue shooting doves, trap, archery, etc...except that I do close my left eye....But I remember growing up shooting my red rider (and by growing up realize I'm only 21 now I would actually close my right eye but shoot right handed so my head would cock over the stock so I could look down the barrel with my left eye haha...it worked at the time but i completely forgot about that until my recent discovery that I'm cross dominant.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Banned

So I'll keep shooting with one eye closed.
and you'll lose all depth perception and field of view - but its your shooting, not mine

The other tasks you mention (aside from shooting) aren't as reliant on focusing your vision through a small aperture like a peep
the peep makes it simple - even after years of shooting if I lost focus I would look outside the peep, not through it because my left eye would demand dominance over the right (shooting right handed) - its my personal opinion it made me a better archer becuase I HAD TO FOCUS

now I shoot traditional and I look over/above the arrow as it sits on the shelf, pure instinctive, no point of aim or anything like that can be done.

Thats not true, myfriend shoots lefty, and he tried opening both eyes to shoot and he nearly shot the arrow off the wall.
of course he did because he hasn't trained himself to focus. switching ANYTHING creates chaos with the mind/body - do you think Tiger Woods would shoot a 68 golfing left handed ?

Is there a way to change your dominant eye? Train the other to be more dominant?
I've heard that it can be done, but I was born this way and I believe with the exception of a few people are are non-dominant it can't be done

Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot with the arrow under my dominant eye. My son started shooting cross dominant, but we switched to a left hand bow at age8 ( we were not able to tell before that).