Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 String slapping my arm >

String slapping my arm

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String slapping my arm

Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default String slapping my arm

I haven't really shot my bow since the end of deer season so it's been a few months since I have shot. Today I shot about 30 arrows and the majority of the shots the string would slap my arm. It has never done this is the past and I was just curious why my bow would start to do this. I didn't know if it was because I haven't shot in a while or what

Thanks,
Kash
Old 02-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: String slapping my arm

could just be a loose fitting jacket??? Mine did the same thing and i had to wear an arm guard until i got a new drop away rest and it didn't do it anymore
Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

if you haven't noticed yet it throws the accuracy of the bow off badly every time it hits your arm
Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

First thing I think of with string slap is trying to shoot a bow that doesn't fit you because the draw length is too long. Second is your grip. You may need to do one of those " how's my form" threads here to have the guys in the know take a look at it. Now is a real good time to figure out the problem.

Dan
Old 02-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

When I first started shooting archery last year I had the same problem with the string hitting my arm. I then figured out that it was becuase I was gripping it wrong. Try gripping it differently or have someone more experienced with archery watch your form and see if they notice anything you may be doing wrong.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Haha....ya I can see where it throws my sights off...cause my 30yd pin was about 10in higher than it is normal. I might have to look into getting a post on here about my form. Thanks! Kash
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

Evidently the last time you were shooting it din't hit your arm and now it is, if it is'nt clothing then it has got to be a inconstant form, yah it would be a good idea to check out a how is my form thread.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spot on, Patch, SPOT ON!!!

It's likely grip if you don't normally do this. If you are "choking" the bow, you pull your forearm into the "line of fire" almost automatically. If I use a "high wrist grip," I can shoot a 31" bow, but I'm only a true 29" draw based on my wingspan. Check out this link: http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...grip/index.htm It has some good info on grip. But you also need to make sure your form is CONSISTENT. I shoot a few arrows at least 5 days a week. It might only be 4-5 some days, but I get a few arrow flying out of my bows to make sure I'm keeping the "muscle memory" and form consistent.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you break your elbow some. Your arm I would say is to straight and locked. That might be part of your problem!

hatchet Jack
Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hatchet jack

Make sure you break your elbow some. Your arm I would say is to straight and locked. That might be part of your problem!

hatchet Jack
Actually Jack, with the right grip, you can LOCK your arm out and still be "safe," but I agree a slight break is certainly beneficial. This is part of how I was able to shoot a 31" bow when a 29" is what fits me.

Quick Reply: String slapping my arm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.