Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 left eye or right eye dominant >

left eye or right eye dominant

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

left eye or right eye dominant

Old 03-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Spike

Default left eye or right eye dominant

how do i see if im right or left eye dominant?

i herd you point to a distant target with both eyes openand then close one. if you close your left eye and your finger moves your left eye dominant and if you close your right eye and your finger moves your right eye dominant. is this the way to do it?

i did what is stated up above and found im left eye dominant, i am also right handed.

when choosing a bow would i choose a right handed bow or left?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: left eye or right eye dominant

This is how my son was tested. pick something on the wall, small like a spot. stand back about 15', hold both hands out in front of you while staring at the spot. keep your thumbs out and fingers together, slowly bring both hands together creating a small triangle (window) with thumbs and index fingers (no finger jokes guys ) while still staring at the spot, slowly bring your hands to your face while looking through the window at the spot, what ever eye you end up at is your dominant eye. hope i explained that right [&:]
Old 03-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Spike

ok so two tests say im left eye dominant, thanks.

a lot of people say to choose a bow by your eye domenance but is there a way to acuratly shoot a right handed bow wile being left eye dominant?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Spike

anyone?
the only reason i ask is i cant realy holda lefty bow stable its like my arms know i should be using my other side.

if i have to shoot lefty how long does it take before i can just pic up the bow and shoot it without feeling weird?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im not sure how long it will take. Im geting ready to go through this with my son as well but have not yet. There is one option, you can shoot with a patch over your dominant eye if you stay right handed.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Spike

so if i just close my left eye i can get a righty bow. how will that effect my acuracy, or will it?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM

It hurts some people more than others. For instance; you'll loose depth perception so if your target's moving in or away once you're at full draw you're screwed unless you count steps... If you're just going to fling arrows and do the weekend warrior hunting scene you're probably fine shooting cross dominant and closing one eye. If you're going to take archery at all seriously you should shoot the same side as your eye dominance. It doesn't take long to get used to.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot tournament with one older guy he is in the same boat, he shoots right handed and looks through the peep with his left eye and doesn't seem to have any troubles with it. He consistantly shoots 280's, however we call him sleepy, looks like he is going to sleep when he shoots.......
Old 03-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago, i think you will find what your looking for in there. some good read.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2691817

Old 03-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am left eye dominate but right handed. I shoot right handed very well not a problem. I tried shooting left but always felt awkward . I just close my dominate eye. it is easier for me to pull back and hold with my right hand. others will tell you to shoot with your dominate eye but unless it is you with cross dominate i don't think they fully understand
if you can shoot left go for it it just doesn't work for me

Quick Reply: left eye or right eye dominant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.