Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Catch And Release >

Catch And Release

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Catch And Release

Old 01-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Catch And Release

So what if hunting (used as a broad term in this instance) was Kill optional? From all the responses, I would say hunting is indeed kill optional (as used in broad terms). Would you still kill? Most have said yesor would you be more content with outsmarting the animal... (I havent thought of how to make it kill optional yet) then simply returning it to its natural state?The answer is yes to this question as well.As Brett implied, he is fishing to kill, but not every fish he hooks is killed-despite being in his net.
I guess that's the beauty of hunting. You are in control of your own destiny, and you do not have to pull your prey from the water to see what you have hooked!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:02 AM

For deer, no. Because Ienjoy eatingthe venison and if I can outsmart and get a killing shot off on a nice buck, I want him displayed on my wall.

When it comes to some other species, yes I would doshoot and release. Best example would be pheasants. I love hunting them for the excitement of the flush and most of all, watching my dog work and flush. If everytime she got a rooster up for me I could shoot it and then somehow walk over and revive it and send it on its way, I would, mainly just because I don't enjoy eating it that much, but I love the sport. The same thing would go for ducks. But until that day, I'll just continue killing and making pheasant fingers and wrapping duck in bacon on the grill.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

I knew people would misinterpret my comments about hunting to kill every time I enter the woods. What I meant by this is that I hang my stands to kill a deer every time I hunt. I pass many deer in most years and just let them walk. But my mindframe remains the same, I hunt to kill every time I enter the woods, but I choose when to pull the release. I have to have this mindset where I hunt or I would not see or get to close to many deer. Hunting to see me is a lot more than just killing an animal.
That last line is what I'm talking about.

Ryan.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 AM

I think some guys took it differently than I did (the original question).IMO, It was about making the KILL optional...not whether or not it was an option for you to choose to kill a certain animal. Like, a 150 inch buck walks out and you know you want to shoot him. If possible, would you opt for him to keep living afterwards (tranquilizer type deal, suction arrows..idk how) or would you kill him anyway to end your successful hunt? In other words, if your arrows could strike without causing harm, would you do this instead of a razor sharp broadhead to put him down for good? I hunt to kill, and when I draw my bow on an animal I have been hunting for and makes me happy, I want to put it down for good. For the success, for the meat, for the trophy, and most of all for the memories. Just my opinion.

I too love trying to photograph animals...and on ones I have no interest in shooting, I find it a rush to get pics/film as well. I was more referring to only the animals you would shoot with your bow. You guys are talking about photographing animals you don't really want to shoot in the first place. Would you be reaching for your camera or bow if a 200" buck walks out? That should answer whether or not you would want the kill optional.

Will, I LOVE that pic of Rob. I'm not sure how he got it, who took it, or the details...but that is by far hands down the COOLEST bowhunting photo I have ever seen. I would love to get a print of that made. Talk aboutup close and personal. I have it saved on my hard drive for good since the last time he posted it up. I agree, he won on that day...but in a different way. I'm sure Rob was hoping like hell he could skewer an arrow through that huge billy. You don't have to kill everytime out to be successful or enjoy your experience, but without the occasional kill...it takes away the hunting aspect of it. I enjoy a fruitless day in the woods just as much as the next guy, but I know I enjoy it a heck of a lot more when I have an animal taking a dirt nap afterwards.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I can say is I take my digital videocam (Cannon ZR 200)with me in the woods on EVERY single hunt I go on. It's the times when you don't bring a cam that you see something you would love to take a pic/video of. It took a number of years for me to learn this. It's pics like these that I'm talking about! As far as the coyote goes, I've been hunting these same woods for seven years and NEVER saw one, not even a trail cam pic,(rumor had it they existed in the area)until the very last day of deer season this year!

Old 01-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Hunting to see me is a lot more than just killing an animal.
Very true. For me hunting, especially bowhunting is enabling myself to get into position for a shot opportunity. If I take a shot that is only the end result of my hunt. If I shot at every deer I had opportunities to shoot at, I'd have to give away a lot of deer. As it is I usually shoot 2-3 deer a year or try to. I give some meat away to a landowner and his family.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I think some guys took it differently than I did (the original question).IMO, It was about making the KILL optional...not whether or not it was an option for you to choose to kill a certain animal. Like, a 150 inch buck walks out and you know you want to shoot him. If possible, would you opt for him to keep living afterwards (tranquilizer type deal, suction arrows..idk how) or would you kill him anyway to end your successful hunt? In other words, if your arrows could strike without causing harm, would you do this instead of a razor sharp broadhead to put him down for good? I hunt to kill, and when I draw my bow on an animal I have been hunting for and makes me happy, I want to put it down for good. For the success, for the meat, for the trophy, and most of all for the memories. Just my opinion.

I too love trying to photograph animals...and on ones I have no interest in shooting, I find it a rush to get pics/film as well. I was more referring to only the animals you would shoot with your bow. You guys are talking about photographing animals you don't really want to shoot in the first place. Would you be reaching for your camera or bow if a 200" buck walks out? That should answer whether or not you would want the kill optional.

Will, I LOVE that pic of Rob. I'm not sure how he got it, who took it, or the details...but that is by far hands down the COOLEST bowhunting photo I have ever seen. I would love to get a print of that made. Talk aboutup close and personal. I have it saved on my hard drive for good since the last time he posted it up. I agree, he won on that day...but in a different way. I'm sure Rob was hoping like hell he could skewer an arrow through that huge billy. You don't have to kill everytime out to be successful or enjoy your experience, but without the occasional kill...it takes away the hunting aspect of it. I enjoy a fruitless day in the woods just as much as the next guy, but I know I enjoy it a heck of a lot more when I have an animal taking a dirt nap afterwards.
Trevor--Rob said his girlfiend ( or wife, I forget) took the picture. I agree, its the most amazing picture Ive seen, thats for sure
Old 01-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the best wordage would have been "resuscitate" optional. If this were the case. then no. I would not want to resuscitate something I desired to kill.

I too love trying to photograph animals...and on ones I have no interest in shooting, I find it a rush to get pics/film as well. I was more referring to only the animals you would shoot with your bow.I have been in situations where I struggled with picking up the bow or the camera.That's the beauty of hunting. You are in control of your own destiny. You guys are talking about photographing animals you don't really want to shoot in the first place.Not necessarily, see the photo below. I absolutely wanted to kill this deer with the bow. My desire, however, to capture his essences superseded killing him. At twelve yards, he was mine for the taking.Would you be reaching for your camera or bow if a 200" buck walks out? That should answer whether or not you would want the kill optional.

Will, I LOVE that pic of Rob. I'm not sure how he got it, who took it, or the details...but that is by far hands down the COOLEST bowhunting photo I have ever seen. I would love to get a print of that made. Talk aboutup close and personal. I have it saved on my hard drive for good since the last time he posted it up. I agree, he won on that day...but in a different way. I'm sure Rob was hoping like hell he could skewer an arrow through that huge billy. No doubt! I think he could have simply killed the goatif he wanted to but not at that close range. He opted to take the game to a higher level. He rolled the dice on the kill and lost. Take another look at that photo and ask yourself, could Rob have gotten off a shot with a greater gap? My thoughts would lead me to say yes. You don't have to kill everytime out to be successful or enjoy your experience, but without the occasional kill...it takes away the hunting aspect of it.Agreed. I enjoy a fruitless day in the woods just as much as the next guy, but I know I enjoy it a heck of a lot more when I have an animal taking a dirt nap. Not just an animal, a specific animal...

I would enjoy a hunt with you Trevor.