Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

catch and release

Old 05-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default catch and release

I went out Saturday morning despite the predictions of rain and storms. Sure enough everything was fine until 5:45 and then I got hit with a thudnerstorm. It took me 45 minutes to get in place so there was no where to go so I waited it out. At 6:15 it passed and I decided to move close to a power cut because I thought the birds would go there in the wet weather. There was a bird gobbling pretty good and I managed to get within 150 yards and set up. He moved closer and closer and I thought I was right where I wanted to be (between him and the power cut). Then I realized that he had gotten past of me to the south and was above me in the power cut clearing. I moved up a logging road and set up about 20 yards from where it opened into the clearing. That joker gobbled his head off at me (at least 50 or 60 times) and stayed 35-40 yards away just out of sight. I finally got fed up (mistake #1) and crawled up the logging road toward the clearing to see if I could get a shot at him through the brush). Just as I got in position, I broke a stick but instead of running away that seemed to seal the deal and he came right into the opening of the logging road. He was right on top of me and I was hoping he would take one more step and stop to give me a shot (mistake #2). Before I pulled the trigger he spotted me laying there in the mud and took off. I had a shot but I was hoping for something a little better and I waited too long. Iafter he escaped I paced it off at six steps. I am not sure if I could have hit him as close a he was and as much as he was moving but I definetly didn' t have a chance since I didn' t shoot. Also, If I would have stayed put, I would have had a good shot at 20 yards and would have been more comfortable with my pattern being a little more spread out. I am going to try for him again on Wednesday (the weather is supposed to clear up then) but if that is my only opportunity this Spring I will kick my self all year.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: catch and release

......Heh..heh... good story. I guess that is why they call it huntin eh? I wouldn' t feel to bad. You did a lot right to get that close. I have made a lot more than two mistakes on a bird and never came close.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:31 AM

Leave the stalking to the indians my man.[:-] Dont you hate it when the turkeys make a turkey out of you?[&:]Hes still out there so go getem. And be patient.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story Buckeye!!Took me quite a few years to learn to be a more patient turkey hunter!One thing to realize as I do now,very simply put is sit still and let your calls do the work!Obviously staying put doesn' t always work,but the bright side is you wont spook him out of the country, and in most cases he' ll give you another opportunity tomorrow!!Good luck!!
Old 05-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

Kind of like being caught trying to sneek in for the shot and having one standing there lookin at you with one foot in the air still must have been a thrill to be eyeball to eyeball with that ol bird. good luck Wed let us know how you fair