Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Catch and Release Hunting?

Old 08-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Catch and Release Hunting?

Legal issues aside, would you be willing to practice "catch and release" hunting. For example, if your state allowed you to hunt deer with a tranquilizer gun, which immobilized the animal long enough for a photo-op, and you would then simply make sure that the deer recovered and climb back into the stand.

If you took a deer that you wanted to take home, you could then cleanly dispatch the aenesthetized deer, while he was "sleeping."

Any thoughts? I was just kicking around some ideas after reading the "drugged deer" thread on the bowhunting board.

I think I'd support that type of hunting. It gives hunters a chance to "shoot" more deer, without necessarily removing them from the population.

Obviously, if you took enough photographs and measurements, a reproduced set of antlers could be made for a mount. Just a novel idea I had, and I thought I'd pass it along for some input.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Catch and Release Hunting?

never really thought about it in those terms before... i guess to me if i do not want to kill that animal that is when i shoot it with a cammera..... as for shooting an animal with a trank........ most hunters are not vet's so how would it be possible to tell if the deer you just loaded up with dope is stable?

what you have suggested is not a bad idea per say.......in my opinion though it just would not be practical..........hence the use of a cammera.......just my 2 cent's
Old 08-22-2005, 11:42 AM

A couple years back, a Polar bear wandered into the town of Sept Iles,
Quebec. That bear had a big X in orange paint written on his side by a conservation officer. That meant the bear had already been shot with a
tranquilizer once before. The bear had to be destroyed. Once a bears been under anesthesia, being shot a second time will kill it. I don't know if this applies to deer aswell. Is there a vet online? Interesting question though. Quebec sells catch and release permits for fishing, but you fish with hooks. I think the government would have a hard time handing out
tranquilizers to any hunter who asks!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

There is a place like that in the midwest for elk and deer. Dont remember where ,but seen the add 2 years ago
Old 08-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

That's for the WildlifeBo., not hunters!
Old 08-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

If you are not going to EAT it or give it to some one that will DONT KILL IT. Take a pic and gess the score.Any thing else would be crule and roung.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:39 PM
Dominant Buck

A photo safari is also catch and release , and it won't taint the meat .
Old 08-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

immobilized the animal long enough for a photo-op, and you would then simply make sure that the deer recovered and climb back into the stand.
i'm not a "trophy" hunter, my primary reason for killing a deer in the first place is to eat it, if its a "trophy" thats just a plus, and i have killed my share of decent deer,i'm sorry but this does not sound like avery practical plan, alabama's dnr is urgeing people to kill more, of course i guess that people that shoot them in pens, and drug them and have to be lead by the hand before "they" can kill one, this could work for them, other than that it sounds like somethinga tree hugger would come up with. "oh we could just let the deer go" don't think so.

btw this is how i like my season to work

bow hunting, i will shoot the first thing i see, by this time of year i am running low on deer meat, we use it in place of ground beef 75-90% of the time, i will try to kill 3-5 does with my bow, since our buck/doe ratio is so out of wack, if a nice buck comes by more the better, at the start of m/l'er season if i have had a dry bow season i'll go for the first deer i see most times, if its a buck more the better, rifle season, i hunt so many different pieces of property some hold some good deer 100+", others just hold little basket rack 6 pointer and the like, i like to kill a buck, and i will take a small buck or whatever, when i've done all these things i will only hunt (if i have not killed something bigger in the other hunts)for a "trophy" and i don't need to see him on the ground to know he is a "trophy". i hold out for 125-130+" deer for this,an average season for me is 5-7 deer i have killed as few as 2, and as many as a bunch[:-], all legal btw. but putting them to sleep for a camera op does not appeal to me.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

immobilized the animal long enough for a photo-op, and you would then simply make sure that the deer recovered and climb back into the stand.
i'm not a "trophy" hunter, my primary reason for killing a deer in the first place is to eat it, if its a "trophy" thats just a plus, and i have killed my share of decent deer,i'm sorry but this does not sound like avery practical plan, alabama's dnr is urgeing people to kill more, of course i guess that people that shoot them in pens, and drug them and have to be lead by the hand before "they" can kill one, this could work for them, other than that it sounds like somethinga tree hugger would come up with. "oh we could just let the deer go" don't think so.

btw this is how i like my season to work

bow hunting, i will shoot the first thing i see, by this time of year i am running low on deer meat, we use it in place of ground beef 75-90% of the time, i will try to kill 3-5 does with my bow, since our buck/doe ratio is so out of wack, if a nice buck comes by more the better, at the start of m/l'er season if i have had a dry bow season i'll go for the first deer i see most times, if its a buck more the better, rifle season, i hunt so many different pieces of property some hold some good deer 100+", others just hold little basket rack 6 pointer and the like, i like to kill a buck, and i will take a small buck or whatever, when i've done all these things i will only hunt (if i have not killed something bigger in the other hunts)for a "trophy" and i don't need to see him on the ground to know he is a "trophy". i hold out for 125-130+" deer for this,an average season for me is 5-7 deer i have killed as few as 2, and as many as a bunch[:-], all legal btw. but putting them to sleep for a camera op does not appeal to me.

Old 08-23-2005, 08:24 AM

I would not go for it. It would seem like a waste of time to go out and drug an animal for my amusement. I know some bear hunters practice it, they will tree a bear with the dogs and then let it go.

Quick Reply: Catch and Release Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.