Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow debate

Old 01-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crossbow debate

Rickmur, my comments were in no way directed towards you other than the fact you happened to post right before me. I did mention the bolt could have hit a limb but that was a fact not a knock on your post. I remember cardeer and even though I have only been a member for a year I lurked for a long long time. I knew this thread would become what it is on it's way to. Crossbows are the devil and they should not be allowed in our archery season. And then someone will say compounds should not be allowed in archery season because they do not present the challenge traditional bows do. Remember these threads when we get to the dusk of our hunting careers and can no longer pull a compound or trad bow, and you walk out of bass pro with your desert stryker...then the young stud walking behind you says look at that lazy slob, taking the easy way out.[:-]Again Rick this is not directed at you and I apoligize if it was taken that way...I do not log on to argue.

Again, I do not hunt with a cross bow, I use a bow purchased through Rob and Rick James (matt) for those thinking I am trolling, but if I ever have to pull out a crossbow for any reason then make room in your blind MEANV, cause I have to hunt reagrdless of weapon.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

When the xbow debate hit Kentucky a few years ago it was as bloody as the civil war. Name calling and alot of bad feelings. It was alot about nothing it turns out. It has made zero difference. Very few deer killed with them and no one can tell that anything has changed. I dont use a xbow but was all for them being used if someone wants. It makes me mad as all get out tosee some bow hunters put down the guy that want to shoot a xbow. A xbow is not a gun in any way. It is not like a gun. People need to grow up and quit telling the othe guy how the "right" way is.

I can tell you the real reason bowhunters didnt want the xbow season expanded.....It was because they didnt want all the "lazy" gun hunters running out and getting one and ruin "their" bow season. Thats why in Ky the season that was to be the same length as bow season, was shortened and cut out during the prime time. They got the prime time all to themselves. Then they were happy enough to allow the modified season in. Thats the real reason.....
Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Michael, I'm sorry that I took offense to your post so quick. Hope all is cleared up.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

After my experiences last year, I'm always amused by the number of posts from folks who are extremely biased against the use of crossbows. They list all of the advantages a crossbow shooter has over a compound shooter. I can tell by reading many of their posts that their opinions are not based on fact or experience.

I had shoulder surgery on October 18th, 2007, and one week later, I bought a Tenpoint Pro-Slider crossbow. What I learned from hunting with it is that it is NOT easier to kill a deer with a crossbow.

1. The thing seems to weigh a ton.
2. If you hang it on a bow hanger, you need A LOT of advance notice that a deer is coming. Getting that big,
heavy crossbow off the hanger is a LOT of movement. The profile of a crossbow is a lot bigger than a
compound. It's also very easy to make noise trying to move it around.
3. If you decide to sit and hold it, prepare yourself for a very uncomfortable sit.
4. Even with a scope ona crossbow, compound bows, at least for me and everyone I've shot beside at the
range, are much more accurate.
5. The accurate range of a compound is considerably longer than that of a crossbow.
6. Follow-up shots are virtually impossible with a crossbow. Even if you can get it re-cocked and re-loaded,
the sound of the first shot is going to scare the crap out of anything within ear shot.

As soon as I could shoot my Drenalin again, I soldthe crossbow to my brother (who was going to buy one anyway) and I am much more confident in my ability to kill a deer now than I was using the crossbow. I have no problem allowing crossbows during bow season becauseI honestly feel that I have a bigger advantage over a deer with my compound bow than a crossbow shooter has.