Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow debate

Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crossbow debate

Everyone,

I have not heard anyone mention crossbows on here, in quite sometime. Maybe it is because it is a bowhunting forum?

What are your thoughts on them? Agree with their use? Just tolerate them? Love them? It is mostly the old school crowd that doesn't respect them? This debate has always fascinated me, and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Spike

Default RE: Crossbow debate

I don't like the idea and here is why. I bow hunt as well as gun hunt.I enjoy both for different reasons although if i had to give one up it would be gun in a heartbeat.Most of the gun only hunters i hunt with are for crossbow . I'm also sure a great many would bring those same gun tactics to archry season -example walking all over, driving deer, Taking poor shots and other bad traits i seem to see way more during gun season. I am not saying every person who picks up a crossbow is going to be a slob, but i do believe bow season would start to look a whole lot more like gun season. P.S i know my beliefs should not infringe on others rights it's just my opinion.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it betters the sport of Bowhunting, than I am for it. I am not sure that it does. In it's own season or as it USED to be in PA, where you could use them in place of a muzzleloader with a tag. NOW they are legal for all bowseasons. I am still sorting out my feelings on that one. I am afraid that it will take the bowhunters down a notch and put some gun hunters into situations where they don't belong, taking low percentage shots.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’m FOR crossbows in a couple of situations. If the hunter is physically unable to pull the required weight for a bow (to old/young, physical injury etc.). I’m also fine with hunters using them during ‘any weapon’ seasons.

Beyond that, I don’t really like seeing them used during archery season. JMO
Old 01-03-2009, 11:38 PM

I personally don't like them but that's just my preference. That being said I have no problem with people who use them responsibly. Additionally, it'sanother avenue to get people into the woods and support our sport.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Site Bouncer

Just another piece of "archery tackle" in my book, I have no problem with crossbows.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had to take a buck this year (that I wouldn't have shot) only because it had an arrow sticking in it's side very high up. Turns out it was a cross bow bolt with an expandable broadhead that had penatrated only 2" at best. I think whoever fired this contraption didn't know what he was doing and didn't even followup on the deer. In the right hands for the right reason I tolorate them as long as they are hunting a different woods
Old 01-04-2009, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

That bolt could have hit a limb the same as an arrow, stuff happens. They are legal in GA and have been fora few years all season long. I have seen no difference in herd numbers, the rise of injured deer stories etc. I am sure that many posses them with a gun mentality and no idea about angles, judging yardage etc...bit go to your local walmart the week before season next year and check out all the "ethical" bow hunters. There are going to be slobs no matter ehat the weapon.

Last year in Auburn, Alabama the last weekof January standing in walmart a gentleman ask for my opinion on a broadhead.He is holdong one of the mechanicals they sell there and what I think about it. I ask him what his setup is to see if he should even shoot it or not (jacknife style). He replies that he needs a mechanical because he is going to borrow his buddies set-up and his buddie told him that a fixed head would not fly the same for him as it does his buddy...but a mechanical flies just like the practice tip. He then proceeds to tell me has has not shot a bow in years but he wants to kill a buck with a bow and the rut (late Jan down there) gives him the best chance to see one. I never I mean never preach my beliefs to another so I kind of just walked on and told him I do not know much about those heads. There is an example of a couple fine ethical BOW hunters.

If everyones argument is that they are easier etc...then I sure as hell would have rather seen this clown with a cross bow and not his buddies bow. At least the scope is on, no matter who shoots it. I am neither for or against them, but I am glad the option is there if anything ever takes the ability to draw a bow away. I just want to be in the woods, 99% with the bow...but if you took the bow I would gladly shoot them with gun, crossbow, etc.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:27 AM

Just as long as you crossbow hunt only in crossbow seasons provided...don't ruin it for all of us archery hunters, just another "gun" season for me.

Not against the use, but it's a advantage over archery hunters...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt right along with crossbow hunters all season. I have no problem with them at all. I have not seen them "walking all over the woods taking bad shots" like some said above. I say go for it!

Quick Reply: Crossbow debate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.