Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the advantage of rubber boots? >

Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

I wear all kinds unless it's wet and it almost always that during hunting season. If it's not or cold I'd wear knee highmoccasines. If your leather stays dry, wear it. Mine was supposed to but didn't.

Rubber doesn't spook deer, why should it? If you get busted wearing rubber you had something on them. I just saw a boat load of hunters wearing all there gear all over the place. I'd say the same for any boot. They don't even mind my moc's that I can tell.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say for sure on this one. For many of my early years, I wore leather boots. I was busted plenty of times. However, I wasn't practicing any scent control other than keeping my boots outside. I've never had a deer bust my trail since wearing rubber boots, but I'm not swearing allegiance to one or the other. I like the convenience of the rubber boots, the comfort (Lacrosse Alpha Sports), and weathering ability. I wear leather boots during the late season, and in fact, I walked across my food plot and climbed into my ladder stand (wasn't really hunting, I just wanted to watch a bit), and I had deer feeding in the area where I had just walked, and they weren't picking up the scent. I'm not sure there's really a definite answer to this, because deer hunting isn't an exact science.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't really know of any "proven" advantage to wearing rubber boots while bowhunting. I will say I wear them almost exclusively, except when it's very cold.Rubber holds the cold like it's nobody's business![:'(]I like the rubber bootsbecause they keep my feet dry though. That's been "proven".
Old 01-03-2009, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I Wear my House Slippers!![8D]

I've Never been scented. Well once it was an unusually warm day and I had gone out barefooted, but the Buck only paused a second at my ground trail

Dan
Old 01-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

My feet don't get wet, scent control, and my Lacrosse are as comfortable as my nike sneakers.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

I hate rubber boots. Hate wearing them, hate walking in them, and I can't think of anymore reasons right now. My feet sweat a lot, and rubber boots are uncomfortable for me, especially when it gets chilly outside. And the smell of the inside of my rubber boots is absolutely unbearable. Ain't no covering that stench up. Sorry, if you think that stink can be covered up, there is something wrong with you. I switched to cordura Irish Setters 2 seasons ago. One pair is uninsulated, the other 800 gram thinsulate. I ONLY wear them bowhunting. Not scouting, no yardwork or messing in the garage. I wash them constantly in unscented soap to keep them clean, and I have yet to have a deer (that I've visually observed) pick up my trail. And they have no odor awful odor in the inside that a little bit of Dead Down Wind powder doesn't cure.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

I Wear my House Slippers!![8D]

I've Never been scented. Well once it was an unusually warm day and I had gone out barefooted, but the Buck only paused a second at my ground trail

Dan
Dan, get the bunny slippers. You can place them by your tree and it has a calming effect on the deer.[8D]
Old 01-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

We had a woman that used to wear flip flops,no matter the weather.I don't know how she kept from getting frost bite but that is all she wore.

I used to wear rubber but they are so cheaply made anymore that I can't find any that actually fit.I went to the Dream Season boots and I love these things.I did not even consider the scent ellimination of the boot,I needed a boot that fit and was light weight.These things are like T shoes.I don't trust the waterproofing for extended periods of time though.

I wear thses boots in all weather conditions.When it is really cold,I just slip my arctic shields over them and ,if neccesary,I will throw a hand warmer in them but that is for extreme cold only.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:48 PM

I've never noticed much of a difference. Been busted wearing both. Had success wearing both. Wear what's confortable.