Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So whats with these rubber boots? >

So whats with these rubber boots?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So whats with these rubber boots?

Old 08-24-2004, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default So whats with these rubber boots?

Ok all I hear is you need rubber boots to be scent free. All I have ever worn is leather boots with a hard sole. If you ask me all they ever smell like is doe piss. I have had many deer trail me right to my stand without getting spooked. So I bought a pair of rubber boots, they don't have many miles on them yet, but they smell like I just walked out of a rubber factory. This can't be good. Any suggestions for getting rid of that smell?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 PM

Default RE: So whats with these rubber boots?

Roll them in mud, and make sure you are in them when you do it.

Don't ever wash them.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wash them with a baking soda/ water mixture. Just because they are rubber doesn't mean smelly things cannot get stuck to them! Wash them and spray them with scent killer before you go out in the woods. Last year I had about a 120" buck walk right down a trail a walked on to get in and didn't even show a sign that he smelled anything.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:02 PM

OH Bowhunter,

Basically if you do everything right it does not matter if you use rubber boots or wear some other type of hunting boot. I have both leather and rubber boots, and the only reason I have the rubber ones is to wade through small streams and muddy areas where my leather ones do not work so well. I have also had deer walk right down my access trail to my stand.

I keep my boots in a plastic bag (two pairs, two bags) and I only wear them in the field. I do not put them on until I am ready to leave my truck to hunt. Nothing touches them but dirt. Treat your boots like this from day one and use proper storage and maintanence and you will not have any problems.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:00 AM

IMO deer dont spook from the smell of rubber. I left a pair of brand new hip waders at the base of my tree one time and a big doe feed right up to them. She kind of looked at them for a second then walked up and almost stuck her nose right on them. She turned and started feeding again. When I got down I smelled the waders myself and they definatly had a rubber smell.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Neoprene boots will also work and they don't have a smell. I use neoprene/rubber much boots, very comfortable and the neoprene offers warmth. It is a closed cell material that scent cannot penetrate. Scent will stick to it though so treat them right like others have said.