Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the advantage of rubber boots? >

Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

I'm with Todd, I gave up rubber boots and now hunt with leather ones. The only time I truly consider rubber over my leather boots is really wet conditions or I know I'll be crossing water.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Kelly...I thought you just gave up boots all together? [8D]Seemed to work pretty well for you this year....LOL

Edit: I might as well say that I have had about the same experience using either one. I haven't seen a noticeable difference with either. Been scented in both, and not scented in both. [&:]Biggest buck I ever had within bow range scented my track in the rubber boots....needless to say I didn't get a shot.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

One of the major benefits of rubber boots is being able to tuck your pantlegs inside of them to keep molecules of your sweat and skin from dropping out of your pantlegs while you walk. As a living being your body is constantly shedding skin and giving off perspiration which normally falls into your clothes or onto the ground. These are the primary elements the deer picks up on a scent trail, not the scent of the boot. Even with the pants tucked in, you can be leaving a trail from your arms or exposed neck and face and you should try to reduce those areas of contamination while going to andfrom your stand as well.Regardless of which style boot you use, I'd spray them down good each time you enter the woods.
I'd have to speculate that the scent from rubber productswould beless alarming to a deer than leather, especially when wet.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

dry feet
Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really wish I had pictures of a small 6 pointer this season during rifle season. We had snow on the ground and you could see my tracks coming into my stand. I watched this buck walk up to where my tracks were, sniff around a little bit, then continue on about his way. I was not wearing those big knee high rubber boots, just my normal leather boots.

I honestly do not believe this one a bit. I have never worn rubber boots and honestly, as far as I can tell, I have never had a deer react badly to where I have walked. I scrub my leather boots with mud and baking soda, then let them air dry. I do this several times each season. I also store them in their own container in the off season. A month before season and all during I leave them outside on the porch.

You can believe anything you want, I know its never been an issue for me.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

I used to wear rubber boots religiously until the last few years. I can really tell no difference. But I will wear rubber boots when its real wet and really muddy, plus a couple of creeks I need them for crossing.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 PM
Banned

I can tell you what the DISADVANTAGE of rubber boots is. I have broken one bone in my body and it was 2 Januarys ago when I broke an ankle while climbing a hill in dark with mud under leaves and I simply slipped. Rubber boots provide no ankle support and my ankle broke.[:@]
Old 01-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: WKP Todd

When someone shows me proof that rubber boots leave less of a scent trail than say a leather boot - I will believe it.

I wore those uncomfortable and non-breathing boots (rubber) for many years. Getting constantly ground scented by deer - I came to a conclusion - if they can still detect me - I might as well be comfortable - and protect my ancles!

About5 years ago I started wearing leather boots again - which are FAR more comfortable, they breath to allow me to keep my feet more comfortable and warmer, and are far easier to take off and put on.

Since changing, I've noticed very little differance if any in getting ground scent checked by deer. If anything, and this is the best part, I think I used to get worse results when wearing rubber boots and spraying them with scent elimination (supposidly) spray!

A master whitetail hunter told me many years ago - "you ever smell a rubber boot".Yeah, it sticks! Now smell a typical leather boot after the break-in period! I actually just motivated myself to smell my Wolverine boots (leather) - compared to a rubber boot. The difference is UNBELIEVEABLE! The leather boot has a very subtle leather smell, the rubber is almost gaggingstrong after using them for YEARS! It pretty much made me realize that rubber does nothing in preventing human scent from hitting the ground. I think about 95% of the scent DOES NOT come from contact, but instead is left behind from our "stink" that is constantly cascading off our bodies as we walk.

Think about this. Consider how far you walk in a pair of boots to get to certain stands. Do you not think that the ground, mud, dirt, rocks, water, brush - would actually "scrub" your boots as you walk? It does. When walking through wet clay here in Iowa - I sometimes have completely covered boots - packed full of mud by the time i reach my stand. Even though the entire contact area of my boots have been "clogged" - they will still know you walked through. You will NEVER eliminate this from happening - NO MATTER WHAT! Bloodhounds have proven this - yet hunters think these "promotions" are fact. It is not.

Of course, this is only my opinion based on my experiences in the last 19 years of bowhunting. My rule of thumb is to do whatever I can possibly do to avoid walking in an area I expect a deer to come through. If I am forced to, I walk where I can shoot because any mature deer will slam on the breaks at the slightest amount of human scent. Depending on the particular animal, the time of year, and the amount of pressure in an area, a deer will react differently every-time. Often times here in Iowa, because I hunt some very un-molested properties, mature does will act as curious toward human scent as scared. I've also had 4-1/2 and 5-1/2 year old bucks hit my scent, catch it, and because of the rut - they just keep looking for does. We have countless encounters with mature bucks caught on-camera where they clearly have caught our direct wind-line, and after a short pause, continue on their "merry" way in-pursuit of hot does. We have two examples of this with two different 4-1/2 year old bucks on one hunt this season alone, both on the same night. A 145" ten and a 150" non-typical. They had us busted at 30 yards, both nailed us in the exact same spot.One actually proceeded to make a scrape to almost displaya dominance overus - the other just stopped, looked in our direction, and keptwalking toward the doe bedding area he was heading to in the first place!
Couldn't agree more!!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 PM

I was on the rubber boot bandwagon too until I wore my leather danners this year on a lazy day...and gasp wasnt winded when deer followed my trail in to my stand. I spray down my boots everytime I hit the woods regardless what I wear, so I wear whatever. If I suspect rain, deep water, or colder conditions Ill wear my lacrosse uninsulated rubber boots. Warm hunting, walking very far, comfort, breathability, i go to my uninsulated danner pronghorns.

I like both, but don't think either is better than the other.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to wear rubber boots anyway, too many creek crossings

Quick Reply: Whats the advantage of rubber boots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.