Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BH didn't open, pics added >

BH didn't open, pics added

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BH didn't open, pics added

Old 12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sunday evenings hunt- BH didn't open

I've killed approx. 40 Deer using mechanicals, and 99% of the time they work great.

I still like a lot of things about the mechanicals, but I figure my Luck they willmalfunction at the wrong timeso I use broadheads that Cut on impact, but don't have to openI have seen mechanical malfunctions first hand. So I do know they happen.

Dan
Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: louddrummer69

I use them and one reason why is they pattern better than fixed broadheads for me. That's all.
That is more than likely a tuning issue.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the arrow passed through did is not go in the ground? If so, is it possible the blood came off going into the ground?

Sorry if I'm a skeptic, but until I see an animal that is dead shot with a mechanical with field tip sized holes on both sides I'm leaning more toward hunter failure than broadhead failure.

If blades break off, or a ferrule snaps that is one thing, but it is a near impossibility for a broadheads blades to not open. Especially given the design of the broadhead you are using...

I just don't see how that broadhead could pass through even cardboard without those hooks catching.

Like I said, call me a skeptic.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The arrow was laying on top of the ground, I was hunting on the ground. I'm eating lunch now, gimme a few minutes and I'll post pics.[8D]Hell I'd be a skeptic too if I didn't witness it .
Old 12-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the skeptics.

Full length arrow

Closeup of fletchings

(note the hair)

BH closeup

This is exactly how I found it. The blades aren't bent or stuck, no dirt on them.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: buttonbuckmaster

For the skeptics.

Full length arrow

Closeup of fletchings

(note the hair)

BH closeup

This is exactly how I found it. The blades aren't bent or stuck, no dirt on them.
How does the little rubberband get past the blades and onto the shaft if those blades didn't open and then shut?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Unless I am not seeing something correctly, it is physically impossible for the blades not to have opened if the o-ring is pushed back to where it is. If it starts in front of those “wings”, it can’t get past them without pushing them out of the way (in turn opening the blades). I believe the blades appear closed, because when the arrow passed thru, the fletching stuck (last thing out of the animal) and the blades swung forward (closing) and that is how you found the arrow.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blades are clean guys. That head has a 2 3/4" diameter. I've shot 2 deer with them and the heads were full of hair, meat fat etc . These are clean. As far as the o ring....no fricking clue. I agree that something isn't right, like a coyote barely bleeding for several hundred yards. If it opened, he would have bled ALOT and died soon. I don't have any answers or tricks up my sleeve, this is a head scratcher to me.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

After seeing the pics, I think Rybo nailed it.

Quick Reply: BH didn't open, pics added

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.