Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Stands for 09' >

New Stands for 09'

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Stands for 09'

Old 12-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default New Stands for 09'

I have been thinking about this coming season and plan on changing my set-ups on the private land that I hunt.

As much as I like my Equalizer stand (and I truly do think that it's the best climber on the market) it is still a climber. As we all know until October it is HOT here in SC. So by the time you walk to your stand and climb 20ft up a tree in a climber you are miserable and soaked.

I want to use a set-up that I can move fairly easy by myself so ladder stands are out. I rather hunt out of a lock-on than any other kind of stand, but most aren't comfortable enough for me to want to sit in for an extended time except for the really big and bulky ones which are also very heavy.

One thing that I have learned over the years of hunting even a small tract of land like mine is that year to year deer will follow the same trails AND make new ones each year. Every year towards the end of the season I am moving one of my stands to a "new" area within the 18ac tract of land to cover a new trail that is usually beat down to the rocks.

I have been giving it a lot of thought over the past two seasons and I think this summer I am going to buy two of the Millennium hang-on stands and four of the receiver brackets. That will give me one stand to move from three brackets that I would keep set up in my usual spots and one stand and bracket to keep mobile.

The stands weigh 14lbs and look to pack well and have plenty of room for bow hunters. They also look like they would be easy to set up as all you have to do is slide them into the bracket. I haven't read anything negative about them and most say that they are the most comfortable stand they've ever used. Another good thing is that they are cheaper now. I will use a mixture of ladder sticks and screw in steps depending on the stand location.

What are your thoughts? Do any of you use these stands?

Note****For you LoneWolf guys, I'm not interested in using them.

Here is a link to their web site and a link to a video.

http://millenniumstands.com/Page3.html

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/product_features/photos/pages/4_archery/pf_milleniumhangonstand_int.html?cm_vid=pod
Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Stands for 09'

I've built up my stock of stands and I usually have several set in hot spots including one ladder stand.
I use detachable steps to get in my Hang-ons. That makes it quick and painless.

I also have a Tree Walker Climber for going to a new spot on the spur of a moment, etc.

This works for me and cuts down on a lot of work. It's easy to walk to a stand and just climb up and hunt

Dan
Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

A buddy of mine has one of the Millenium stands. He likes it, I've never sat in it myself. Out of the 8 hang ons I own, all different brands, I like my Summit Copperhead the most. It's light, hangs easily, and has a nice soft seat that is removable. My big Gorilla would be a close second. I can sit in either one all day.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

have you seen any of these stands? http://www.chippewawedgeloc.com/

they look comfortable and are a breeze to hang (also have leveling adjustments), BTW i've always used thegorilla kong lounger is what i think its called, and the air ride seat on it is the most comfortable seat i have sat in

the millenniums look comfortable to, i like the way their seat leans back
Old 12-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have one...its money. I have 10 receivers....so I can have 10 different sets without having to have 10 stands, and without having to leave my stand in the woods. I use climbing sticks on most of them, screw in steps on some. I'm gradually getting away from the steps.

I think the biggest advantage of the Millenium is that you can set up multiple stand locations ahead of time. Then you just choose the stand you want to hunt, head out and climb up and you are ready to hunt. The stand is relatively light, and comes with backpack straps. I just climb up, slip the stand in the bracket and get in. As far as comfort goes....you can't get any better. I've hunted all day in mine many times, no problem. The only drawback is the fact that the stand doesn't have a self leveling platform...but that is not unlike most stands out there. You just have to set up on a tree that is straight, not a huge deal. If it had that (and I have no idea why ALL stands don't) in my opinion, it couldn't be beat at all.

If your hunting style is to change stand locations every hunt...pack your stuff in and out each time, this may not be the best setup for you. But if you have the ability to set up your stand locations ahead of time...itsthe ticket.
I bought mine online from where you are looking, good service...I would recommend them. Enjoy!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Chippewa stands are awesome, comfortable and easy to hang. I use Big Game Boss XL stands, giant platform and nice seat too. They are heavy-ish, but nothing really horrible. With the Chippewas, if you buy the bracket/strap things, you can have one stand and move it all over the place. For hanging, their isn't an easier one out there, just slide it in.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I primarily use hang ons. I buy them whenever I can, usually on sale. If I am in need and there aren't any on sale I have been buying this one for around 60 bucks.

Gander Mountain brand

I can set and unset stands in a relatively short time and lets face it, with a little scouting, you develop a plan. I primarily hunt a 61 acre tract. I will have 6 or 7 different sets, double hung in case of Rob the Cameraman, and still have the climber to hit a new hot spot that I can't adjust a set to on a Sunday.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the replies so far. I Have other lock-on such as the Gorillas, but don't think that they are comfortable enough to sit in all day. My climber has me spoiled, period. The Chippewa stands look like they will hold a tank, but they are too expensive and the seats aren't any different from some of the lock-ons that I already have.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the idea of those stands with the brackets, but I'd still use an extra ratchet strap or two once it was in the bracket. I'm not a huge fan of heights and a paranoid pete when it comes to stand safety. My buddy makes fun of me because I use my lineman's belt when I'm 8 feet off the ground.

Both the Chippewaw and Millennium stands offer some nice flexiblity and look to be comfortable.