Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stands, stands and more stands! >

Stands, stands and more stands!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stands, stands and more stands!

Old 10-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Stands, stands and more stands!

I've been hunting for 15 years now, but have only been hunting out of tree stands for the last three. In those three years, I've found myself feeling like I can never have enough stands. I keepthinking aboutthat new next great spot that I'm dying to put a set in. Myhunting seasons arestarting tofeel morelike a game of chess than actuallhunting. I'm constantly pulling and putting up new sets all over the place often in between my moring and evening hunts. I'm up to 13 stands now between 2 different farms, one 300 acres and the other 250 acres. Atwhat pointshould a person stop buying hang-on stands and invest in a climber? Does anyone elsedo this? Or at least think it throughintheir minds?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stands, stands and more stands!

I hear ya man. Sounds like your doing the right thing. I do the same thing. I like having many stands setup, I gave up on climbers a long time ago. I personally don't like all the extra work to do with climbers.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

just buy the lone wolf system and hang 50 straps...and have one or two actual stands works for me
Old 10-26-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

SUMMIT VIPER: Approx. $260

I have been hunting many years and have always built my treestands (permanent) or hung a stand. 3 years ago my hunting buddy from work talked me into buying a self climber treestand. I was always cautious about those types of stands and thought they weren't too safe especially someone my size 6'3" 270 lbs. Found out a few other friends from work owned Summit's and they were my size. I bought one and it's probably the second most important investment other than my bow. The Summit Viper is what I have and it is quiet, built tough, light (20#) and extremely easy to climb with. You can't go wrong.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I started using the Summit Viper a couple years ago and it was the best money I've ever spent for hunting. I am like you. I have over 40 stands setup over 3 different pieces of property. You can't have too many options of stand locations IMO. That being said, I find myself using my climber 75% of the time[:-]. I wish I convinced myself to use one a LONG time ago. Would have saved a lot of money on hangons and ladder stands. It is a little more of a pain in the butt setting up and packing everyday, but well worth it. The only time I find myself using my ladder stands or hangons is when I'm pressed for time and have to get up in a tree fast or I want to sit in some that are "old faithfuls" and the conditions are perfect.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

if i were you i would take a couple down
but make sure to strategically place them according to wind, feild, cover
make sure to find a funnel, best deer hunting you will ever find
Old 10-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

man oh man, 13 stands.. if you buy one cllimber you could do what all 13 of those stands are doing with just one climber.. just make sure you get one that has back straps on it or make your own, makes the carry in alot easier

Old 10-26-2007, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

We have 13 stands on our property ranging from hang ons to tripod stands. The trees we hunt out of would be extremely hard toclimb with a climbing tree stand also the noiseof climbing, it is easier andquieter to have hang ons.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you want to stick with climbers make sure you do your research on where you put them. the non ability to move them as easily as a climber just means you need to be a little more selective of your stand placement. Or you can try to redirect the deer. by blocking one of their normal trails and making a new one that just so happens to go by your stand.
But i like to have a climber on hand. Especially if i get a new piece of property and dont have alot of time to scout and need a quick setup you can. I actually just had this happen. I just got permission for another 600 acres and it alreadythe middle of bow season.

Quick Reply: Stands, stands and more stands!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.