Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had... >

I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Old 01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

I printed that recipe off when you put it on AT a while back. I had it in mind when I plugged a doe last week . I got everything I need but the Quick cure and mustard seeds, the store I went to didn't have either. I'll have to look a little harder for those I guess.
Sooner,
Note that I HALVED the garlic, it made it a little better, because the Garlic was a little strong after eating half a log, I probably smelled like a vampire repellant for a week.
Yep, I remember
Old 01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

ORIGINAL: OHbowhntr

I printed that recipe off when you put it on AT a while back. I had it in mind when I plugged a doe last week . I got everything I need but the Quick cure and mustard seeds, the store I went to didn't have either. I'll have to look a little harder for those I guess.
Sooner,
Note that I HALVED the garlic, it made it a little better, because the Garlic was a little strong after eating half a log, I probably smelled like a vampire repellant for a week.
Yep, I remember
Might send some to Sam and the boys it may pick up their spirits after that horror flick they starred in last night!!!! I sure wish that game had been played on a "neutral" field. Tough to play a Florida team in Florida!!!!
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

WalMart Superstore didn't have the Morton Tender Quick. They had never heard of it. I came home and looked it up. It looks like this:

This mix is a fast cure product that has been developed as a cure for meat, poultry, game, salmon, shad, and sablefish. It is a combination of high grade salt and other quality curing ingredients that can be used for both dry and sweet pickle curing. Morton® Tender Quick® mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform. Morton® Tender Quick® mix can be used interchangeably with Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix. It is NOT a meat tenderizer.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boy, I can't find this product anywhere locally. Where did you purchase yours?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

I've never heard of trail bologna either.

What do you mean by cheap bulk sausage? Raw pork sausage?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Have you guys found where to buy this Morton Quick Cure or a substitute? Only place I can find it is online, $5 for a 2lb. bag, plus $12 to ship itI guess I'll have to look some more.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Most major grocery stores carrytender quickand it isn't that expensive. You might also try a butcher.

This sounds great. Is it the consistancy of real bologna or sausage?
When I make mine I use a food processor to get the bologna consistency.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 01-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I've never heard of trail bologna either.

What do you mean by cheap bulk sausage? Raw pork sausage?
Summer Sausage/Trail Bologna, are synonymous in my area. And yes, I mean raw cheap bulk pork sausage or a mildly flavored sausage mainly just for afat filler, as much as anything.

Hillbilly,
Spudrow is correct, many grocery stores carry it and it's usually right where the salt and spices are. I know here in OH, Kroger's has it at both Kroger's I go to.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Hillbilly,
Spudrow is correct, many grocery stores carry it and it's usually right where the salt and spices are. I know here in OH, Kroger's has it at both Kroger's I go to.
I wil have to take a drive to a bigger town soon and see if I can find it. All we got nearby is a Walmart and one more grocery store. Thanks.