Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had... >

I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Old 12-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Im with Trevor, Ive never heard of "trail" bologna.... but if it tastes anything like Rob/Pa's you can take it to the bank.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Hey i wanna make some of this but how long will it last in the fridge
Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just made some with some bear meat. Tastes great. Hope you don't mind if I tweak the recipe a bit.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Spike

have you ever had the trail bologna from perfect meats in johnstown ohio. if so does it taste anything like that bc thats the best stuff ive ever tasted
Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sandilands

I just made some with some bear meat. Tastes great. Hope you don't mind if I tweak the recipe a bit.
Robert,
Tweaking is what cooking is all about, if it seemed a little heavy on the Garlic, that was the main feedback I got, I halved the amount of garlic I put in, only 1/4tsp per pound, and . I don't think I've ever stuck to one specific recipe that I started with, whether it's making Goulash, or jerky, or whatever. Glad you enjoyed it. I just mixed up another batch this evening, and I have jerky on marinade that will be ready to dehydrate Sat. Morning.

Joshua,
I've never had trail bologna from the place you mentioned, never heard of it in all honesty, but I'm glad someone else here has heard of "trail bologna" rather than asking "What is trail bologna???" If you have a couple pounds of ground venison, it's worth a try if you like trail bologna. Just note the halving of the garlic mentioned above, it will make for a tasty treat without burping garlic after taste for days afterwards.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could you use mustard powder instead of seeds?
Where do you get the quick cure?

I'd like to try it this weekend. Minus the jalapenos.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Talondale

Could you use mustard powder instead of seeds?
Where do you get the quick cure?

I'd like to try it this weekend. Minus the jalapenos.
Chuck,
I suppose you could use mustard powder, not 100% sure how it would come out. The seeds just add a little texture and flavor, I like the seeds personally, but I'm sure you could tinker with it and make it however it met your personal tastes, like not adding the jalapenos. I like the flavor, so that's why their in it for me, but I'm not sure "fresh" jalapenos would be as good.

The "quick cure" is available in most grocery stores, ask for "Morton's Tender Quick," it's a curing salt, but I've always heard it called "quick cure" but that's the name on the bag I have, and it's about the same color blue as I made the text with YELLOW lettering.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

I printed that recipe off when you put it on AT a while back. I had it in mind when I plugged a doe last week . I got everything I need but the Quick cure and mustard seeds, the store I went to didn't have either. I'll have to look a little harder for those I guess.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

quit talking about this I just ate and your making me hungry again sounds great!!
Old 01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sooner State Hunter

I printed that recipe off when you put it on AT a while back. I had it in mind when I plugged a doe last week . I got everything I need but the Quick cure and mustard seeds, the store I went to didn't have either. I'll have to look a little harder for those I guess.
Sooner,
Note that I HALVED the garlic, it made it a little better, because the Garlic was a little strong after eating half a log, I probably smelled like a vampire repellant for a week.

Quick Reply: I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.