Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had... >

I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Old 12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Guys, I'm PUMPED!!!! I've tinkered with Trail Bologna recipes for a couple of years, but never got one I liked, so I took a little of what I know and like, and made another try last night, and cooked it today and I have to say, I'm quite impressed!!!! I've made the VERY BEST Trail Bologna I've ever had!!!!

If anyone is interested....

Here's the recipe......

Lean Ground Venison and cheap bulk sausage (mix 2#'s venison to 1# sausage)

Ingredients per pound.....

1/2 TBSP Morton's Quick Cure
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder (Editted, as the original recipe I used 1/2 tsp, and it was too strong with Garlic)
1/2 TBSP Liquid Smoke

A hand full of (Diced Pickled) Jalapenos and about 1/2-3/4cup of shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese. (These two ingredients are per full 3# batch, not per pound)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl thoroughly, and let sit in a bag in refrigerator over night, extra mixing each time you open the fridge to get another beer won't hurt any!!!! :noidea:

Next day shape up into about 2" rolls, wrap in foil and poke holes in the foil to allow grease to escape, and cook at 350* for 1 hours on a broiler pan or similar drip pan. Remove from oven, let cool, wrap what is left after you eat half a roll, in wax paper and then foil and refrigerate for your next meal of the day.

Guys, this is beyond good. We have a local processor that makes this stuff, but in all honesty, mine is WAY BETTER!!!! No patting myself on the back either, because I would've honestly told you it sucked if it did, because most of my attempts up until now have been BAD ones!!!!

Now I have a desire to put MORE VENISON in the freezer!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Refrigerate in pringle cans and then it will be even easier!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

And this belongs in the BOWHUNTING forum, why ?

Just kidding..I'm sure you'll hear that, though.

I'll PM you my address and you can send me some, k ?

It belongs here because it's more reason for guys to keep their venison rather than not.
[:@]

You're a big boy, read the recipe, it's easier than making Macaroni and Cheese in all honesty, and tastes a whole heck of a lot better!!!

Plus my successes in the kitchen are almost as rare as my successes in the field, so I'm pretty damned proud!!!!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Host of Hosts

Doug, Freeze a chunk of it to bring to the GTG so we can compare it to Rob's. Who knows there could be an award category for best venison bologna on the table.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

Doug, Freeze a chunk of it to bring to the GTG so we can compare it to Rob's. Who knows there could be an award category for best venison bologna on the table.
Doug,
Mine is HOME-MADE, not that "processed" stuff Rob brought!!!! :winky: :winky: :lol: :lol: But not to worry, I'll make sure I have a few #'s left over so I CAN bring some to the GTG, because it's really worth sharing IMHO. I'm gonna crack some out at our family GTG this weekend for my Mom's b-day, so I'll see how well everyone else likes it, but it's by far the best I've ever had in my potentially biased and warped opinion.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I am going to give it a spin!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 PM

Ill try it, but Im a little confused.

By tail bologna do you mean summer sausage? Ive honestly never heard of trail bologna[&:]
Old 12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

Cool..I just saved it as a word doc. I will have to make some. Thanks

Quick Reply: I've finally done it...I made the best Trail Bologna I've ever had...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.