Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rage and blood trails..... >

Rage and blood trails.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rage and blood trails.....

Old 12-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rage and blood trails.....

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

First, Please don't shoot at a deer while it's walking. As you learned, most of the time you are going to make a "bad" shot that is more than likely going to be too far back. Not to mention a deer's reflexes.
Your wrong Strut. Anyone can shoot a deer walking, they just need to know what there doing. I've shot a good handful walking, they were all lung and heart shots. I'll never stop a deer unless It's down right flying. I don't like alerting deer.

As for the Intent of the thread, you can make a perfect shot Wiaxle and some times they just don't bleed. Why Is that? Who really knows. It will happen no matter what BH your using. Sometimes things don't follow the rules.
I agree! Very well said.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rage and blood trails.....

First, Please don't shoot at a deer while it's walking. As you learned, most of the time you are going to make a "bad" shot that is more than likely going to be too far back. Not to mention a deer's reflexes.
I have to disagree with you here. A slam dunk shot or 20 and under, I don't stop anything. As far as reflexes, a deer walking is making noise and is less likely to react at the shot than one you've alerted with some sort of noise to stop it. I'll shoot a walking deer any day before I make a noise. I have NEVER attempted to stop a deer. I'll wait for it to stop or not get a shot if it's further away.

As far as the lack of blood mentioned by the intial poster, hmmm... got me except the first shot was a bad shot and you're not going to get blood.Sometimes a deer just doesn't bleed like we'd like. If lungs collapse or heart stops and nothings pumping, well you won't get a lot of blood. Usually you don't get blood right away... but as soon as you say that you'll get one like I did this year that blew blood everywhere from the get go. They're all different. Some people have a harder time picking up blood than others. Myself, it takes me a few yards to really get into the blood spotting. I don't know why that is, but I learned many years ago I have to go slow ... I mean really slow in the beginning. After a few yards I'm on it and it becomes easier. I've made some really great tracking jobs.... and I've also found myself wondering if I was loosing it at times. Just slow down and you'll be fine. I don't think the broadhead is the problem.... and this from a guy that dislikes mechanicals.LOL