Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Spot & Stalk Whitetails? >

Spot & Stalk Whitetails?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spot & Stalk Whitetails?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spot & Stalk Whitetails?

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

I've had most of my luck with spot and stalk using water as a noise dampener. In the areas I hunt their are creeks and a river. I'll pick a day when the wind is in my favor, preferably blowing a little bit to cover any sound, but if you move slow enough in water you can eliminate all sound. No air bubbles equals no sound, so the key is to move slowly through the water without picking your boot up out of the water so nothing drips. I've killed 2 bucks using this technique.
This is a picture of my Dec. '07 spot and stalk buck. I used chest waders and stalked into his bedding area. The wind was in a perfect direction, blowing from the bedding area to me and across the river. It took me 3 hours to get where I wanted to be, but as I looked up river, their he was chasing a doe. As I moved into position at a clearing, I stopped a waited. After about 30 minutes, I heard sticks cracking and grunting. The doe comes toward me with the buck in tow. She tried to go the opposite direction but he just blocked her escape off and pushed her back toward me. As he followed her past at 40 yards I had the shot I was waiting for.

One thing about spot and stalk, be able to accept disappointment!
Anybody ever tell you that you look alot like John Beilein basketball coach for Michigan?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 AM

I have never actually stalked up on a whitetail and killed it but I did set up on the ground after seeing some does coming down a draw from a distance and shoot one at 6 yrds, still an ambush I guess.Biggest rush I have ever had, she weighed a whopping 60 lbs after field dressing but boy she looked bigger at 6 yrds.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ken3

Anybody ever tell you that you look alot like John Beilein basketball coach for Michigan?
That's a new one.