Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mistakes I've made along the way >

Mistakes I've made along the way

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mistakes I've made along the way

Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mistakes I've made along the way

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

2. Not practicing with my new THICK ass face mask... Changed my achor and caused me to shoot 8 inches high and over another BIG buck.
I have never fealt comfortable wearing any type of face mask for this reason...no matter how cold it may be.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

A thick facemask can also cause you to shoot a bit left by pushing your release hand away from your face.
I'm trying to picture how this could happen if your peep/sight pin housing were still aligned.
Your anchor point has been moved (further out from your face).

So even if itAPPEARS that you are aiming perfectly with the peep/sight aligned...the arrow will be off.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I made three VERY LARGE mistakes this year on my Alberta hunt! At the cost of hunting up there a person (Me) cannot makethese kinds of mistakes. And I really KNEW BETTER!!
First of all, when I saw (8:15AM)that150" 8ptfollowing that doe, I should have waited to see if they would have come closer to MY effective range before I took the shot. They were in NO HURRY to leave the area.Second, I shouldn't have taken the next shot for the EXACT reason I just stated. They might have gotten closer!! And my third, and probably myBIGGEST mistake, was taking that small 9pt at 1:15PM on only the second day of a 6 day hunt!! Especially considering the fact that I'd already seen TEN different bucksup until that point. I still had about3 1/2hrs of light left.
The real tragedyin all of this is that another hunter from our camp ended up killing that buck from the same exact stand two days later. That could/should have been me![&o]The truth of the matter is it's always easy to see these things in hind sight/after the fact. Like I said in a previous post, I'm never done maturing/learning as a hunter. No matter how long I've been doing this. I'll get another chance a BIG buck sometime.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Man that SOUNDS good....but I'm not picturing it. If your front and rear sights on a rifle aren't aligned.....you'll notice it. When you get them right....the projectile's going where it's aimed.

Carry on, though. Not a biggie.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Man that SOUNDS good....but I'm not picturing it. If your front and rear sights on a rifle aren't aligned.....you'll notice it. When you get them right....the projectile's going where it's aimed.

Carry on, though. Not a biggie.
Jeff think of it this way...lets say the back sight on your rifle got bumped over to the side just a little bit without you knowing. Now say you took a shot with this gun lining up the front and back sights with your eye...the shot is going to be off.

Your anchor being moved out from your face is kinda like the back sight being bumped a little bit off tothe side on the rifle. Your peep and sight may appear to be aligned to you...but the bow is actually pointing in a different direction now.

Does that make any sense?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's amazing how we get off on tangents, isn't it? I'm going hunting.