Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mistakes I've made along the way >

Mistakes I've made along the way

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mistakes I've made along the way

Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mistakes I've made along the way

#2 is great, never lower your bow until your ready to climb down.

#1 revert's back to Greg's #10, but still a very good one.

Keep them comeing GUY'S.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

1. Deerhunting for a mature buck before and after the rut. They don'tmove like the rest of the herd.
This one got me. Are you saying hunting outside the rut without changing strategy or just hunting outside of rut period is a mistake?

These are great tips guys.

I didn't need a visual on the grunt tube NY...did you notice before or AFTER you next used it?[:'(]
Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: gri22ly

1. Deerhunting for a mature buck before and after the rut. They don'tmove like the rest of the herd.
This one got me. Are you saying hunting outside the rut without changing strategy or just hunting outside of rut period is a mistake?

These are great tips guys.

I didn't need a visual on the grunt tube NY...did you notice before or AFTER you next used it?[:'(]
Hunting outside the rut without changing mystrategy,I used to doe (deer)hunt for mature buck's out side the rut.[8D]What a card I was, I look back and laugh now.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So...... moral of the story.......mistakes I've learned along the way? Always remember to bring along your arrows.
NY....DOn't feel bad. When Will was here (iamyourhuck)....we got to the pasture that we'd go through to get to our stands.....and I had to send him along to go to stand, alone. I had to walk back to the house to get......MY BOW.

Dufus, yes.
Jeff, just this year I drove 12 miles, got out of the jeep and got dressed, put my boots on and sprayed down.I went to get my bow and it was at the house.[:@]I can laugh about itnow, butnot then.[:@][:@]
Old 12-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Illinois Buck Hunter

2. NEVER lower your bow until the second you are ready to climb out of your stand.

This rule helped me out last year as I was able to get a shot off at a buck. I had already had my backpack on my back when the guy walked out into the field. This time my bow was ready and well yeah it didn't work out again then.....but one of these days I'm going to put one of these Illinois studsdown.
This is a good one, it is part of my routine. It also works in reverse......

Once you are safely strapped into your stand, get your bow and release ready first and then unpack the rest of your gear.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Bartender

I have a bad habit of forgetting my flashlight and should keep a extra one in my pack.
I get out of the woods pitch black lay my flash light in the truck and change cloths.
Jump in the truck and head home then the next hunt I head out and flashlight still
in the truck.[:@]Hell I left 2 of em in the truck of which one attaches to the brim of your hat.
Needless to say ive had to leave my stand early.

2nd thing is this texting crap needs to stop with me. I am going to keep the phone on me
but somewhere I cant get at it so easily. Causes way to much movement and means I
am not focusing like need be. So from now on I am going to send 1 mass text out
informing everyone I am going hunting and leave me alone.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunting outside the rut without changing mystrategy,I used to doe (deer)hunt for mature buck's out side the rut.[8D]What a card I was, I look back and laugh now.
Ain't that the truth....

After forgetting a few things a few times over the last few seasons.....I have a little acronym I ask myself as I'm leaving to go to stand......(BBHH) 1. Binos 2. Bow-hook 3.Haul-line 4. Harness.

Those are the things I've forgotten over the years the most......and the last being the most important (harness) for a few reasons (besides the obvious.....my release and back up releases are in the pockets of my HSS vest!).

Yes......even on the day I forgot my bow....I had all these things!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 AM

The two biggest mistakes I have made that cost me BIG bucks was:

1. Not giving a gut shot buck enough time.... Just lack of experience in that area cost me the biggest buck I've ever had in bow range. This was 12 years ago.

2. Not practicing with my new THICK ass face mask... Changed my achor and caused me to shoot 8 inches high and over another BIG buck.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

The two biggest mistakes I have made that cost me BIG bucks was:

1. Not giving a gut shot buck enough time.... Just lack of experience in that area cost me the biggest buck I've ever had in bow range. This was 12 years ago.

2. Not practicing with my new THICK ass face mask... Changed my achor and caused me to shoot 8 inches high and over another BIG buck.
A thick facemask can also cause you to shoot a bit left by pushing your release hand away from your face.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

A thick facemask can also cause you to shoot a bit left by pushing your release hand away from your face.
I'm trying to picture how this could happen if your peep/sight pin housing were still aligned.

Quick Reply: Mistakes I've made along the way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.