Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

calling mistakes

Old 02-18-2004, 02:55 PM

Default calling mistakes

What are some of the most common mistakes people make when calling? I think I call too often and too aggressive sometimes.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:07 PM

Default RE: calling mistakes

Perhaps the biggest mistake is calling with an noticeably unnatural rhythm. You don't have to be a "great" or textbook type caller if you sound like a real turkey.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Calling too loud; when the gobbler is in sight and when he's still on the roost.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:55 PM

You got it bigtom, i think it is calling too often, and to loud.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

.CALLING WHEN THE BIRD IS NEAR YOU,IVE KILLED MORE BIRDS JUST
SHUTTING UP THE LAST 70 YARDS OR SO.....
Old 02-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say calling too much can be a mistake but I think the phrase "over calling" might be a little over used. I think it is alright to call quite often. It is the volume and aggressiveness that can be the biggest mistakes. I know there are definately times to shut up...especially when he's close...but alot of times I use soft purrs, clucks, and very soft yelps and do it quite a bit. I think you just need to find what the turkeys seem to respond to best. IMO "over calling" is calling too much, too loudly!!! Not just calling too much.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the birds responses or lack of responses are not dictating your calling than your making a mistake!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I quit using mouth calls for that reason. It was too easy for me to may "just one more call". If I have to move my hands to call, I'll think about it longer.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:44 AM
Spike

Okay here is my personal non-expert for what it’s worth opinion. I think that turkey’s use inflection in their talk just as we humans. For example you can say the word (oh) and mean many different things. It can be a question or it can mean indifference or surprise and it’s all in how you say it. That’s why I am not a big fan of box calls you can’t put much if any inflection in your call the way you can with a mouth or slate/glass call. Anyway I listen to the wild ones and try to put that in my calling. IMHO
Old 02-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kase,I agree 100%.I call it puttin feelin into my calls.

Quick Reply: calling mistakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.