Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mistakes

Old 04-29-2006, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mistakes

Well, I like many folks am no expert turkey hunter and need all the help I can get. So I am going to post up some of my mistakes from last thursdays hunt for others to read.

I started off setting up some deeks on the edge of a huge field. When the turkeys (2 toms 1 hen) came into the field they walked out across never coming within 100 yards of me or the deeks. I had set up in a corner created by a point of mature trees and there was alot of shade in that corner early. I called hoping they would see the jake deek and come hard but they only stopped to look where the call came from and kept going away. I tried to put a stalk on but was unsuccessful in that. Anyway, when I got to line where the birds were following I could see there was a very very small roll to the field that combined with the shade I could not see the deeks![8D]

I moved to another location for an after morning hunt. I again setup on the edge of a field with the deeks and sat facing the field. 2 hens walked out across that field one of which walked right through the deeks. However, I turned to see what was behind me and 15 yards away in full strut was boss tom, he never made a peep. Just snuck in on me and left quickly after seeing me move. I should have been partly facing the woods and perhaps if I had called less frequently he would not have pinpointed my exact location and given himself up looking a little further off.

only 1 or 2 more hunts left in my season, hope to tag out on a second bird monday. We'll see what happens.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mistakes

Tough hunt! Hope it all works out for you!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang in there and keep building on what you have learned. No matter how good you are, your never going to close the deal everytime.

I know most here feel a person usually calls too much and ruins a hunt. I do believe at various times that can be an issue. However sometimes it isn't so much how often you call, it is when you do it and how loud it is done. I think I call more often than most people do and in most cases I don't feel it has hurt me. Have you ever heard a hen carry on and on? It isn't all that unusual. There are few absolutes in this game.

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. I think over time you will do well...
Old 04-29-2006, 08:06 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I agree with you Antler Eater on that one. When it is windy and many differant times I have called alot and it has not hurt me. Last weekend when I got my tom I had to call alot because of wind and two came in and didn't make a sound. Like one said in a post they will come in without sounding off. I have had that happen many times.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've learned to refrain from setting out a decoy when it's absoultely still -- i.e. -no breeze whatsoever. The absence of movement from a turkey decoy seems to make the animals suspicious.

I had 5 deer standing around mine stomping and trying to get it to move. When it didn't, they got spooky and left. About 45 minutes or so later, I called in two longbeards which started to strut when they saw the decoy, but then stopped when it never moved at all. This decoy had been responsible for the death of numerous birds --including two 20lbers last year from the same set-up, so it ain't a bad decoy.

Mine stays in my vest if it's too still.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:13 PM

One certain in turkey hunting is that mistakes will never go away no matter how long you hunt.

Every turkey hunter I know screws up each year.

Mistakes only make your set-up better next time.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe adding some motion on still days w/ some mono line would help!