Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

baiting

Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: baiting

But all this talk about elitist and all got me thinking. My wise old grandfather always said it takes two to fight. He was right. Why do all you guys who bait get offended? Why not be like Kent (burnie) and don't give a hoot if someone thinks its slob hunting. If no one got offended, no one would be called an elitist.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Some my not like this, but I feel just like hunters who don't bait. There are good bait hunters and poor bait hunters. IMO to bait correctly is truly an art form. Using bait rasies the succes rate a whole 2% for archery, OMG 2%

Based upon how my season went 2% sounds great......

I personally do not bait whether it is ahuman planted food plot, the various gels,minerals and the like. BUT i am not against a person whochoose to bait. we all huntdifferent ways, each of us hunt in a way that satisfies our own personal views of hunting.I personlly like the quiet time in thewoods to think and unwind and i also like spending the summer in the woodsscouting and trying to figureout where the deer will be,where they move. Ive done well, enjoyed myself and have made many memories.

My input on corn field vs bait is that Corn in a field (cut or uncut) was not put there for the deer it was put there to grow for sale. Pile of corn in the middle the woods slightly left of the the deer run is not natural. Fields in my opinion are just a food source. we as hunters always look for travel routes to and from food, water, bedding scrapes and rubs. Fields although planted by humans are occurring naturaly ( by growing) in the environment and deer who are like all animals look for the easy meals so they will flock to them. is going to an area the has a sign and acorns on the ground from aoak tree 50 years old and putting up a stand baiting.... you know there is a good chance deer are going to come there because of the food. if you really look at it the woods are a huge food plot were deer eat. WE ALL USE BAIT some just bring there in on thier backs other spend time to find where they dine naturally and what road they use to get there.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Why do all you guys who bait get offended?
Because they're made to feel like second-class deer hunters by the elitists.

I guess if people hunting the midwest wouldn't get offended by "location" discussions.....and people hunting with multiple weapons wouldn't get offended by "purist" discussions.....then people baiting shouldn't get offended by baiting discussions. Sounds simply dreamy!

But it's like you can't even mention the words! It's proven itself to be something some are unable to discuss without passing judgement.

I'll discuss all of these topics all day long and not pass judgement. If everyone took that pledge.....we wouldn't have an issue. Botoom line is......people won't get offended if they're not talked to offensively.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"Enough said.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally do not take offense to others on this topic, or other so called "controversial" topics for that matter. I've baited, actually like the scent blocker line, use an outfitter,and have never hunted with a rifle, but could care less if anyone does, does not, etc. So long as it's legal. I've flipped flopped this year on bows, BT, Elite and now on to Hoyt. Everyone has an opinion. I do what I do to enjoy my hunting the way I want to. I'm a big fan of Tred Barta and Cameron Hanes of late, but doesn't mean I want to do it their way or it's the only way. Too much emphasis is being made on conforming to the way the other guy/gal thinks is the best or only way. Advantages, I'll take them, whether that means working harder, smarter or by what legal means are allowed to me. Does it diminish my accomplishments or lack there of, or anyone elses, not in my eyes. I still admire animals taken with bow, rifle, crossbow or spear for that matter. They all have an adventure or story, which is why I come online to read about.

Back to baiting...I've seen deer come to in in force and then not touch it for weeks. It has provided me with meat, trophies and frustration for many years. If I could set up on the edge of a soybean plot, apple orchardor corn field, I probably would so long as I had seen deer or "the deer" I wanted to harvest. It's all about patterning deer and making use of what you have available to you to put you on your game. I still study my deer, put a plan in place, practice and work hard to take my deer. If a hunter can put himself/herself on a deer, judge a clean opening and close the deal, you've accomplished a lot in my eyes and have experienced something that so many have not or ever will. Congrats.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Wahoo -

Great....I'll copy that and paste it up on the next bowhunting purist or "location" thread in here. Should be popular.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:54 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"Enough said.
YOu know wahoo, I can see that cav eduction is starting to pay off. Thats twice you have came up with some great points that I agree with 100%. Is this going to behabit? Are you going to be a conservative before long so we can hang out and hunt and stuff?[8D]

Old 12-06-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

1) Ah thinks that baiters are traitors ta this heasport.

2) Peoples who is only using a compound bows caint's kno how it rilly feals ta take thems deer the true man's way i.e. / e.g. a recurve.

4) If you use a rahfle in a scope to hunt you aints no sportsmen.

5) All you eliterist people is not special with your hah n mighty additutes ok?

3) If you don't use more than 12 and 13/32 of a bucket of corn I thank it shouldn't be considered as bait n.

6) Compound bow is the most superiorest form of weapon ta keal a deer.

8) Hunter's who caint hit a deer @ 700 payses are not real men.

7) The rill men r tha ones who kin only hunt wif a bow he made with a tree he planted himself.

GOSPELL!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deleted
Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

One day i saw 18 deer out my back window a once. Every morning i would see aleast 10 when i ate breakfest. Though most of them were there before the corn. i had it out to help my hunting and help feed the deer.
I only hunted my little chunk of land twice that year. I was clearing some of it off and readying it for the next season when i moved.
It worked and they where there all hours of the day. Though there was not much for 10 miles for food out sde berries and so on in the woods. No farming no nothing but hay.
ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

I will tell you this though i can not bait now because indiana is a no bait state i did in Ky. Year round 2 50 pound bags of corn every week for over a year and half. If i shot a deer buck or doe from a bait pile i would not even tell one guy on here it was from bait.
So all that bait, in Ky, how did it work out for you? Did you kill some booners?

Quick Reply: baiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.