Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the difference!!?? >

What's the difference!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the difference!!??

Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

What brought this one on Greg? I'm kind of confused on this and not sure what to think of It.
I was just thinking that it's the hunting that makes the hunt, not the weapon.
Sums it up well, IMO.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Serious question....

But doesn't the weapon of choice dictate HOW you hunt? Would you hunt the same way with a scoped riflev. a longbow?

I'm not uderstanding that line above. I don't think it's wrong.....just think it's too much of a broad stroke. Again....for you guys who use mulitple weapons....I think that line fits YOU well. It doesn't fit everyone, though. How I hunt defines me as a hunter. The weapon I choose to hunt with dfines how I hunt. I'm a bowhunter. Nothing elitist about that. Purist? Guilty.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

While Iappreciate the traditional look and feel of shooting arecurve, I love the mechanical aspect of the compound. The stealth and being able to hold at full draw. The high tech sights, releases and arrow rest. Must have been allthe Rambo movies. Or the Duke boys.
Yeah, thats what got me making 90yd shots over trees into the next clover patch with a half stick of dynomite

But call me an arsehole, and in no way am I knocking the traditional guys....as most are more humble and less of a prick than most compound hunters.......I love the fact that they can harvest an animal with stick and string....but where does it end......cheif knock'm'dead may not appreciate the 'traditional' guys today because of their use of camo, or binocs, or scent elimination products...what about stalking in your buck skins and no modern day conveniences such as camo or anything......I think all deer harvests that involved flinging an arrow are great accomplishments, but there is no end to who's the 'man' when it comes to hunting. there is always a harder way to do it.....we look at ourselves as more refined than the rifle only guys....as do some of the trad shooters look at us compound hunters that way. My hat's off to anyone that harvests a deer in a quick, efficient (or atleast trying to) manner.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Serious question....

But doesn't the weapon of choice dictate HOW you hunt? Would you hunt the same way with a scoped riflev. a longbow?

I'm not uderstanding that line above. I don't think it's wrong.....just think it's too much of a broad stroke. Again....for you guys who use mulitple weapons....I think that line fits YOU well. It doesn't fit everyone, though. How I hunt defines me as a hunter. The weapon I choose to hunt with dfines how I hunt. I'm a bowhunter. Nothing elitist about that. Purist? Guilty.
I think you will get varying answers on this as well. For the most part, I bow hunt and rifle hunt with the same approach.I don't hunt over ag fields where I can take a 100-200 yard shot. I'm in the timber in the same areas I sat during bow season.I've shot one deer over 10 years with a gun that was out of my bow range.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part I hunt the same.I hunt the deer where I think they are going to be and whereI think I can get the closest shot.

My last 2 rifle kills were 12 and 18 yards(last season)my BP kills this season were 24 and 65 yards. So admittedly I have a little morerange but Ifind I usually don't need it. I do know this, I see less deer during firearm season than bow and blackpowder, that is one huge advantage that as a bowhunter I exploit but many don't even acknowledge. Less people hunting more lightly pressured deer is a recipe for success.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do respect guys that are successful bowhunting during gun seasson or after gun season as I know how hard that can be especially on heavily hunted lands or ands you don't have sole access.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Dominant Buck

NEW....Wall....good points. I see them crystal clear.

NEW....we need to get together and hunt. Open invitation, here....and you can bring any weapon you want.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Posed to anyone...

Do you think people's attitudes towards weapon of choice would be different if the gun seasons in most states weren't such a crazy circus, as they typically are?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: cjohnson664

why is it when someone kills a 75/105 inch buck with a bow you always here "its not the biggest in the woods"
Then you hear "any buck with a bow is a trophy"?
Or to take it a step further, post up pics of those same bucks and see how many responses you get ona thread saying congrats. Add 40 inches of antler to that and there is back slapping all around.

As far as weapon of choice. I like bowhunting and hunt with a compound. I tried trad,for awhile, but was never satisfied that my accuracy was good enough to consistently get the job done, so I shelved it.

I like to gun hunt too. It's definately not the same as bowhunting, but I take it for what it is and get after it. To me, the gun season is a way to wind down from the rigors and preparation that I put into bow hunting.

My gun hunting is very low key. I don't get allcaught up in scent control, my pack is half as full, I don't need a treestand, safety rope or a pee bottle. All I need to do is put my nose into the wind, sit and wait for a spell. When the view gets old I move. To me, this is also an excellent time to scout for next season. I like to take my gun for a walk.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Posed to anyone...

Do you think people's attitudes towards weapon of choice would be different if the gun seasons in most states weren't such a crazy circus, as they typically are?
Years ago, I used to gun hunt a 1200 acre property in Tennessee where moreoften than not, I was the only guy out there. Deer were very relaxed. Think bowhunting except with a gun. Good times man...

Quick Reply: What's the difference!!??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.