Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's the difference!!?? >

What's the difference!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's the difference!!??

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Banned

Default RE: What's the difference!!??

shooting a recurve of longbow is bowhunting

everything else is not - compounds and crossbows are pretty much the same critters, ultra designed to make shooting as easy as possible, taking as many shortcuts as possible to remove what archery is

if you don't agree with me ? shoot traditional next year and put the compounds down and you'll find out for yourselves just what bowhunting and archery is, and it don't include wheels
Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: stealthycat II

shooting a recurve of longbow is bowhunting

everything else is not - compounds and crossbows are pretty much the same critters, ultra designed to make shooting as easy as possible, taking as many shortcuts as possible to remove what archery is

if you don't agree with me ? shoot traditional next year and put the compounds down and you'll find out for yourselves just what bowhunting and archery is, and it don't include wheels
Actually, if you have glass on the back of your recurve or longbow, or any man made material, then its not bowhunting. And if your shooting aluminium, carbon arrows, or even have plastic nocks, or metal tips, its not bow hunting. And I was told on a few forums, that my pacific yew longbow, or my osage isn't bowhunting, because I used a bandsaw on them, and according to them, "my bow is dead and void of medicine" because I used mechanised tools. Metal hatchet is ok to them, go figure. Thats right, "void of medicine". I forgot to tell them I used tightbond 3 for the sinew on one. But they did approve the rawhide I used that I took off a deer. But then they frowned onthe store bought borax I used torender the rawhide. Then when I showed them I put polyeurthane on it, they really frowned. They told me to be a true bowhunter, I have to used rendered pig fat or equivilentto seal the bow.

Toughrow to hoebeing a true purist bowhunter.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 AM
Dominant Buck

BC I don't have a problem if they feel that way about their hunting. That's not elitism. I have a problem when they project those views onto yours to describe your hunting. That is the definition of elitism.

If I wasn't proud of the way/means/methods/ideologies I adopted.....I wouldn't hunt.

What you take from it is all yours, though. None of my business. I don't have to understand it....and I won't pass judgement on it.

I hope you can see the difference.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Slob habits infect all types of weapon choices. It's not what stick you use but how you use it.

The difference is who hunts a couple of days a year and who is always hunting. I'm a hunter because I get in the woods as much as I can regardless of ifor what I'm carrying.

It's always time to plan the next season and you should.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Now that I have thoroughly forgotten what the thread is about....the only deer I have 'lost' was with a gun. A poor shot in a non-lethal area. Infection MAY have killed the deer, but I never saw buzzards. It was a low leg shot.

Honestly, I would feel more comfortable taking a deer a 30yds with a bow than 100yds with a gun. Im just not that great of a gun shot. I can hold steadier with a bow than a gun and more confident with a bow although my numbers are more limited with a bow than gun.

Add in a pistol to the mix and that's the most challenging. I havent had a deer, in gun season within pistol range.....or should I say while Ive had it with me. Im shooting a Ruger Super Redhawk 44mag and Id say my free handed range would be probably less than that of a bow....with a rest, Id say 50-60yds is all Im confident to.

Pistol is by far the toughest for me.

I dont know what this has to do with the thread, but Im sure some of it is relavent to some post somewhere in this 14page monotany.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:12 AM

I still think compounds are archery equipment....is it pure archery....well..maybe not, but technology is a human trait, and even those ancient shooters used to technology to improve primitive weapons. I think trad equipment is as pure as it gets, it's much harder to use than the modern compound, with that said, a coumpound is harder to use than a rifle or shotgun..but I use a shotgun 50% of the season and a compound 50% of the season....but killing a deer with either is fine with me, I do both.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH
To me it's about the hunt.
That's all that matters, right there.... In a nutshell. Period.

Personally, and it's just my opinion, I think all of the elitism and purism associated with trad gear vs. compounds, compounds vs. crossbows, archery vs. guns or modern guns vs. black powder is just retarded, plain and simple.

The real "human trait" that, when thrown into this particularmix, causes all of the problems are our attitudes.You know, the elitist and purist attitudes. Essentially, an "elitist" (in this case) believes his way of doing something is the ONLY way that should be considered acceptable or appropriate. A "purist" believes thatANY adulteration of something from its original, pure form is totally unacceptable.

Come on! Some of you make me wonder what the first early american hunter/gatherersthought when some young, innovative, loin-cloth wearing, spear-throwing early native american, sitting around sulking because of the lack of penetration achieved by his 20 pound spearfinally figured out that "Hey! If I make a really small spear,put some sinew under tensionusing that piece of wood and use that to throw the little spear really fast, I can kill more efficiently."

If theseancestors of ours had the same attitudes that some of us do, there were probably some die-hard, "spear-throwing elitists" that thought "That's just not right! It's not sporting. The mammoths and buffalo don't stand a chance." Then there would have been the "spear-throwing purists" who were appalled that their way of hunting was being contaminated. "Sorry there, Chief, but your buffalo doesn't qualify for Boone and Crockett because you used a stick and a string tothrow a little spear."

Good lord.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimimac

I like to gun hunt too. It's definately not the same as bowhunting, but I take it for what it is and get after it. To me, the gun season is a way to wind down from the rigors and preparation that I put into bow hunting.

My gun hunting is very low key. I don't get allcaught up in scent control, my pack is half as full, I don't need a treestand, safety rope or a pee bottle. All I need to do is put my nose into the wind, sit and wait for a spell. When the view gets old I move. To me, this is also an excellent time to scout for next season. I like to take my gun for a walk.
ORIGINAL: BIGJ71

I look at it this way..... The bow hunting forum should not be where "bow hunters" go to talk about hunting rather is should be where "hunters" go to talk about hunting with a bow.
QFT
Old 12-04-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's funny that only in the common era is there even something considered, by some, as "purist hunting". I got news for ya. There is no such thing, unless, possibly, you're wrestling deer to the ground while grunting instruction to your partner to cut his throat with that piece of flint. Shows how "far" we've come. Our ancestors (even recent ancestors for those of us reered in the hunting tradition) tried to definately stack the odds in their favor because they didn't like to go hungry...and THAT was the main consideration. Only recently have we had the luxury of being able to label ourselves or others when it comes to such trivialand oft mis-guided reflection.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

It's not what stick you use but how you use it.
She was only trying to be polite when she said that you know?

Oh, you're talking about something else aren't you? oooops sorry