Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 What is the difference between...... >

What is the difference between......

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What is the difference between......

Old 04-28-2005, 11:15 AM

Default What is the difference between......

Gap shooting and instinctive shooting?

It seems to me that instinctive is just a altered form of Gap shooting? At some point your brain memorized the gaps/trajectory?

Please clarify for me......
Old 04-28-2005, 02:35 PM

Default RE: What is the difference between......

I am of a similar opinion. I think they are different forms of reaching a very similar goal. However I'm no expert and you'll find some that disagree and feel the two are entirely different.

Jim
Old 04-29-2005, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the difference between......

I like to think of the difference as: Gap shooting is consciously using the gap. Instinctive is subconsciously using the gap.

Once I've shot a bow for a while, I've memorized the gap and don't have to think about it any more. In other words, it becomes 'instinctive'. But, knowing how to gap shoot, I can change bows and arrows and use the gap system to be shooting pretty well with the new stuff in short order. Then I can forget about the gap entirely, unless I want to shoot longer distances than I'm accustomed to.

On the other hand, the pure 'instinctive' shooter has to shoot many, many times the arrows I have to in order to learn what kind of trajectory he gets with his bow. Since he tries to ignore the arrow completely, he has no conscious idea of where he was aiming in the first place. So, he has no idea of how to correct for a miss. Eventually he'll get it figured out. When he changes bows, he basically has to start all over again from square one.

He wants a bow that will shoot where he looks. I just need a bow that will shoot where I aim it.