Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any Topo map guru's here? >

Any Topo map guru's here?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any Topo map guru's here?

Old 11-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Any Topo map guru's here?

David....What I mean by seeing trails is....Josh can tell you (based on terrain features) where they should be. If he tells you there's likely a trail, there......I'd expect (based on his track record, here) to find a worn path where he marked it.

He did mine without access to the aerial (satellite) imagery.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Dominant Buck

But really, it's 20 acres. Walk in it once and all your questions are answered. You'll find the right trees and approaches in about 20 minutes and be gone. I think sometimes we take the hunting out of hunting or we get to smart for our own good. You don't need to labor over a topo on a 20 acre piece of ground that you've had all summer and the last 2 years to look at.You'll learn far more by walking on it, seeing it, figuring out what you want to do and try it than you will asking someone 1000 miles away to look at your topo. Hell, 20 acreas, put a pin on it an hunt. Move if you have to. Don't get me wrong. I look at topos, but my best work is done on the ground. I lived with topos for years in the Army and in Vietnam. I can go from anywhere to anywhere and back again using them. But if I've been somewhere once... it's much better.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, the latest satelite photos are from 1983, but the ariels aren't that diiferent from now. You have to keep in mind that this land is owned by the timber company. So the only changes are certain areas that the timber has been harvested & replanted, or not replanted. What really interest me, is how are the deer using the terrain to travel throughout the property. That is where the topography comes into play. 90% of our property in planted pines, which serve as a huge bedding area. But there will still be preferred travel routes that is dictated by terrain features. I just have to figure out what those are.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

So, who is the real topo guru?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Chuck Norris.[8D]
Old 11-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

sounds like I'm on my own.