Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you achieve your goals? >

Did you achieve your goals?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did you achieve your goals?

i havent reached my goals YET. I still have 1.5 months and some of the best hunting is still to come...I love hunting the late season almost (ALMOST) as much as the rut. almost[8D]
Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have Fun - check
enjoy every minute - check
I had a good year. I saw a lot of wildlife and topped it off with harvesting a great buck, my second from hunting on the ground in as many years and my first ever on public land (which just doesn't happen around here). Its still soaking in.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

no
Old 11-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

Have Fun - check
enjoy every minute - check
I had a good year. I saw a lot of wildlife and topped it off with harvesting a great buck, my second from hunting on the ground in as many years and my first ever on public land (which just doesn't happen around here). Its still soaking in.
Hey Joe congrats on your buck... I never got to see the post or pic.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My bow season goal was to shoot a 100+ buck as well as a doe. Even though my buck taped out at 94" I still feel like this year was another milestone year (I say this every year), but I really feel like I learned a lot more about the deer that I am hunting, thus leaving me better prepared for next years bow season.

I cannot wait to see what '09 will bring!
Old 11-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, I had a lot of fun and still managed to have a life outside of hunting. Got a freezer full of venison and shot a couple really nice bucks with limited hunting. Both away from home in woods I don't get to explore and scout in. The first buck was shot at a location I found 2 years ago and wanted to hunt. The second was on the way into a new spot I wanted to hunt. Go figure.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:05 PM
Site Buck Guru

Thanks for all the great responses, guy's.

Good luck to all that are still trying.

As for me, I just got back from the last weekend of rifle season and I think that with all the winter projects (my basement) I have planned, I may be done for the year. I had a good year, A turkey with a bow (1st). A moose and a nice buck. I couldn't ask for more.

It was slow up north rifle hunting. I had a few opportunities but decided to pass. Just sitting in the woods and seeing the sights gave me the chance to reflect on the year that I had and to share some time with good friends. It also gave me the mindset to start to unwind after a long season and to get used to the idea of resuming normal life, if there is such a thing for me!!

Thanks again
Old 11-30-2008, 10:42 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Work has killed me this year. Couldn't go on my elk hunt due to work. Harvest is still going on. [&:] We've never had a fall like this and I hope to hell Inever have to see another one like this. The only time off is crappy weather not fit for combining nor hunting for that matter. [:'(] I've never hunted in the rain as much as this year, a sleet/ice storm and strong winds. It has been miserable weatherwise.

With that all said... I have had good bucks in range and had a lot of fun. Pulled a stalk on one and shot right under him.[&:] Had a another walk up to my shooting lane... thenrun through it only to stop just past itand walk a way. Tonight I had one behind me at 25 yardsand no shot. Neat looking buck !! Then thereare all the 3.5 year old bucksand under encounters this fall till now. While my time to hunt has been bad... the hunting has been very good even with the crappy weather.

I still have over a month left to hunt and think the best hunting is yet to come. Work has really put things in perspective for me this year. Instead of setting 150"goals and putting unneeded pressure on myself (get all the pressure I need at work )... enjoy the time I get to hunt, hunt hardand have fun. A 150"would be icing on the cake though.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tried to be strong Greg, but I caved...

Arrowed my 6 pointer after watching him for 40 minutes and he finally busted me - 4 days into the season.
Actually he and his brother were within 4 and 8 yards of me, for some time feeding, it was so close I could hear them pull the grass from the ground and chew!!...
My reasoning was, that I did not want him strolling into my setup and looking for me every time I sat in this stand.
I was OK with this, as I choose to use one of my tags to get some meat and take the pressure off me, I do like deer meat!

My 8 pointer with my muzzle loader was also a deer I was going to pass. I watched him for 15 minutes up to 40 yards in front of me.
After I shot him, he had "ground growage" (not shrinkage), as when I walked up to him he was bigger than I thought (I though he was a 6)(way more mass).
However, he doesn't break the magical 100" mark I was hoping for (needs another 7-8"), but he is a perfect 8 with chocolate colored bases - beautiful.
Again I was OK with this kill, seeing it was a great memory of my Dad's 15th anniversary of his death.

I still have 2 tags left - An antlerless deer tag and my regular Archery tag which I can take either sex with.

So my remaining season (new plan), if I'm lucky enough, will be a big Doe and a real good buck!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:00 AM
Bartender

My season is not done until Jan31st so I will get back to you on this Greg. (East of the I)

T

Quick Reply: Did you achieve your goals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.