Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you achieve your goals? >

Did you achieve your goals?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you achieve your goals?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default Did you achieve your goals?

A while back someone started a thread here about what everyones goals for the up coming season were. I'd like to know how everyone feels about their season. Rather than having a "yes" or "no", short answer poll, lets hear how you feel.

My goal was to take a 147"+ buck or a clean 10 pointer.

I achieved my goal but there is more to it than that. I am a very optimistic hunter and I never give up. Over the years I have inched up the size of the bucks that I want to take. Through cameras, scouting and shed hunting, this means I'm looking for one of about three bucks that I know about. I know that there others out there, but it's hard to wait for the unknown.

This means that my percentage for success goes down drastically as I wait for that buck to come by me on my postage stamp size properties.

For the three previous seasons I have met my goals, including one season where I blew the shot at one of my target bucks and missed completely. My opportunities came relatively early in the season. Nov. 4th, Nov. 11th and Oct. 30th respectively. I have found that one chance per season is the best I can hope for.

This season was different than my other seasons. My deer sightings including mature bucks were down by 50%. Things started out with a bang early in the season. I was seeing some good rutting activity up until Nov.3rd. This is usually the norm. However, after that things basically came to a stand still. I had an occasional sighting here and there, but not like what I usually saw. I had several sightings of three different resident bucks and one traveler. Where were the other travelers? Where were the older, bigger bucks that usually show up? For that matter, where were the does!!??

My vacation time was shortened by 9days by an out of state moose hunt I went on earlier in the season. I had until Nov. 16th before I had to return to work. By the time Nov. 12th had come and gone, I started to second guess my thoughts on holding out for the buck of my goal. In other words, I was starting to cave in!! []I was starting to have arguments in my mind whether to hold out or try for a smaller buck if I got the opportunity. On Nov. 14th I had a chance at one of the 138" bucks I had passed on a couple of times earlier. Man, I almost had myself talked into it! It was tough. It sure was a nice buck anyone would be proud of but the feeling of lowering my goal just didn't sit well with me. I passed. I had committed myself to hold off for my goal. This mean't that I would be hunting evenings after work and weekends. I was mentally gearing up for a long season with the very real possibility of not tagging a buck.I'd been there before. I shot a buck on Christmas morning a couple seasons ago. Some people on here thought that was terrible. There have been other seasons where my tag went unused and I'm OK with that. It is a very possibile outcome when I play this game, a game where I made the rules!

On the last evening of my vacation things were slow from my stand again. Oh well, I started packing up to leave and suddenly, there he was! [:-]You know the rest. I had only one to thank and I did, repeatedly.

The moral........

Good things come to those who wait and wait and wait.................and wait some more!

This was a great reinforcement that will help me in future hunts. Very valuable.

Lets hear your's.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Did you achieve your goals?

Not with a bow ..... with a gun, so far yes
Old 11-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I still have another month and a half to reach my goal of taking a 140"+ buck off of my property. I am not giving up yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Not yet. I have had a lot of close calls but its a matter of time i guess. Im hunting an area that has a couple really good bucks in it from the 140" to 180" range(almost got the 180", but passed on a questionable shot) I have over a month left to do it, after that i have to achieve my goal of shooting a bunch of doe's.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't get the buck I was after, but I did get my 1st buck with my bow. Then I got my biggest buck with rifle so I am very pleased with how this year went. Have to up my standards just a little for next year.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not yet, My goal is to shoot a 90" deer with the bow, or a mature deer. I had a chance and passed, due to thinking I will get another chance. It is still the rut here, and I have a small rut comeing up in Mid Dec. as well. I aint gave up yet.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Greg, that was/is a fantastic post.

I'd like to think that I achieved my goals for 08 as well.

The first active goal early season was to take a doe on video. Happily, Ben was in the stand behind me when that big moolie came down the field and present itself for a close shot. Ben, for his first filming attempt did an excellent job. Goal one achieved. As we entered the 3rd week of our season, we both decided it was time start hunting on our own as we were cutting our season short by doubling up with the camera. That set forth my next goal, to take a quality whitetail in PA with my season cut short via my upcoming trip to IL. Hunting every evening and Saturday for the next 3 weeks, I never missed an opportunity to be in a tree and when that buck showed up Halloween morning on my first sit in my Hollow, he looked to be a fantastic buck, 3.5 year old, solid "rob" antlers "lol" and when he came to my calls from 80 yards to 8 yards, I knew he was "my" buck for PA. He didn't score exactly what I though he may but in restrospect, he did score as my best inches buck to date. My second goal for 08 was in the books, so far a big mature doe, a respectable mature buck. Now it was off to IL.

Now that IL trip has a roller coaster of emotions, goals, agendas. I'm considering IL a huge success not only for the meat that is now in my freezer and hide/antlers that is at my taxidermist but for the friends made, members met and time spent. I admitted in my IL return thread that I was slightly dissappointed in the size of the buck at the end of the day. I admit again, he shrunk on me a bit, what I thought was a 130" ten point, wasn't. He is however, my new number 1 buck as far as inches go. I missed a world class animal and that now sets new goals for 09 especially my return trip to IL.

And in closing Greg, after seeing the animals I saw in IL, my goals for 09 may increase dramatically. IL changed my view on whitetails probably forever.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm gonna answer to this Greg with an H thread. Although he'll likely pm me a death threat later. But hey.. you only live once right.

I set no goals for myself this season. None.

Was not even into the whole "hunting thing" even late into the summer.

I kept any pressure off me this year and just hunted. Hunted hard and for a quick taking.. and it turned out well.

Without doubt a season where I encountered as many as 15 different great whitetail bucks. It was unbelievable. And most of all I had great fun while doing it all and remembered why I love to hunt so much.

I consider this year to be a GIANT leaping stone in my education on whitetail bucks. And even greater in my philosophical approach to hunting.

I cannot fathom what next season might bring.. but I cannot wait for it. And I haven't felt like that in a long time.

2008 was pure energy and enjoyment.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes and no.

On the no. One of my goals was to take the droptine buck that dropped the monster sheds I posted earlier this year. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet, but we are hunting him again next weekend with the shotguns.

About the yes, my goal was an 8pt or bigger,wider thanthe ears, with the bow. Mission accomplished on that one.

My most important goal was to get my sons on their first deer. My youngest son killed his first deer last weekend, my oldest gets another chance next weekend during the second shotgun season.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Dominant Buck

This means that my percentage for success goes down drastically as I wait for that buck to come by me on my postage stamp size properties.
Yet they always do, Greg. You have to admit you have some incredible grounds. I'm not taking away anything from you or the deer you've taken.....but they DO always come by (based on your previous kills).

For the three previous seasons I have met my goals, including one season where I blew the shot at one of my target bucks and missed completely. My opportunities came relatively early in the season. Nov. 4th, Nov. 11th and Oct. 30th respectively. I have found that one chance per season is the best I can hope for.
That's good stuff. We may get another....but if we plan for more than that....I think it's a mistake.

For that matter, where were the does!!??
Another GREAT question I'm asking myself right now (and a few weeks ago). I don't know what they could POSSIBLY be eating, right now. No idea.

Greg you're also "passing" on 138" deer. I can't imagine. I've seen 3 deer from stand in over 200 sits that will go over 100". Biggest buck I've ever legitimately "passed" on......might go 80". I can't imagine having access to such animals. Kudos to you for securing those grounds. That's no easy task.

I've got 3 more weeks....and I haven't caved. I haven't had too many chances, though.

IL changed my view on whitetails probably forever.
Rob...not to hijack Greg's thread....but I wish you'd start a thread and expound on this. Do you view them there as a different species of deer? Anythign to do with the sheer quantity of quality animals? I'd liketo hear more on this.

Quick Reply: Did you achieve your goals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.