HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did you achieve your goals?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 06:03 AM
Edcyclopedia
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did you achieve your goals?

I tried to be strong Greg, but I caved...

Arrowed my 6 pointer after watching him for 40 minutes and he finally busted me - 4 days into the season.
Actually he and his brother were within 4 and 8 yards of me, for some time feeding, it was so close I could hear them pull the grass from the ground and chew!!...
My reasoning was, that I did not want him strolling into my setup and looking for me every time I sat in this stand.
I was OK with this, as I choose to use one of my tags to get some meat and take the pressure off me, I do like deer meat!

My 8 pointer with my muzzle loader was also a deer I was going to pass. I watched him for 15 minutes up to 40 yards in front of me.
After I shot him, he had "ground growage" (not shrinkage), as when I walked up to him he was bigger than I thought (I though he was a 6)(way more mass).
However, he doesn't break the magical 100" mark I was hoping for (needs another 7-8"), but he is a perfect 8 with chocolate colored bases - beautiful.
Again I was OK with this kill, seeing it was a great memory of my Dad's 15th anniversary of his death.

I still have 2 tags left - An antlerless deer tag and my regular Archery tag which I can take either sex with.

So my remaining season (new plan), if I'm lucky enough, will be a big Doe and a real good buck!