Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 African safari hunt. Yay or nay? >

African safari hunt. Yay or nay?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

African safari hunt. Yay or nay?

Old 11-24-2008, 01:03 PM

Default RE: African safari hunt. Yay or nay?

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Too many pre-conceived ideas here. Africa and hunting, not unlike the rest of the world, is anything you want it to be-especially if you are willing to provide the time and effort. You are behind the wheel. You pull the trigger!You driveyour PH with your desires-not vise versa! Sure, there are high fence operationsbut hunting isvery abundant off such places. Do your homework-make YOUR hunt happen! Stop generalizing!

I have been to Africafour times (twice to Namibia and twice to two different regions of South Africa. I find that amazing since, as recently as eight years ago, I had zero desire to go once!)The first tripin Nambia, I was with gentlemen hunting lions/leopard/plains gameonlands belongingtobush people north of Etosha National Park. The hunt was 100% spot and stalk, or over natural waterholes (no way to turnsuch watering holeson or off as suggested). There wasn't a fence period!

YesGary, Kudu can be stalked... That is exactly how I hunted mine in the East Cape of South Africa (I did shoot one in Nambia over a natural watering hole-I was hoping for a zebra. I tried to kill a zebra for a total of 24 days on thetwo different tripsvia spot and stalk. I finally gave up. I still do not have a zebra and they are the default animal-if you see somethiing out in the distance, chances are it's a zebra).My East Cape Kudu hunt was on a working cattle ranch and the highest fence was exactly three strands of barbed wire similar to those found here. The kudu were able to come and go at their leisure, as was all wildlife. I've hunted the Limpopo Province of South Africa. I killed seventeen animals there-all but two were outside high fence (the two were killed on a 60,000 acres concession). Nine of the seventeen were via spot and stalk. I've recently killed eight animals in the East Cape of South Africa. All eight were via spot and stalk; 5 were 100% free ranging withoutfence ( kudu, bushhog, feral hog, fallow deer, and springbok). I missed shots at "free ranging" Mountain reedbucks, jackels, baboons, warthogs, and bushbucks. I look forward to killing a free ranging cape buff someday (I will do my homework). The leopard I killed in Nambia was 100% free ranging! So, this whole idea that everything is behind high fence is a bunch of hog wash!

The thing whichdrives me crazy here,the generalizations continue to go on and on...Don't talk and speculate, rather go and experience!

My momma told me to be good at something...so I started looking. I have found that I'm really goodwhere adventure mets discovery-hunting, for me,is the tool which forces the blend ofthe two.Africa is an ideal location. Then again, so is the rest of the world...I am notsatisfied hunting exclusively within my own backyard as many are. I am ok with that.

Remember all those nay sayers? Wasn't the world supposedly flat?

I hope this helps!
Thread killer!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Nay. All I need are whitetail and Elk someday, and the beautiful U S of A!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

ORIGINAL: Germ

Jeff I may be headed to CO to elk huntin 2009. On public land, I am doing the scounting. If I come across a waterhole I will hunt it. Being driven out and placed in a blind on man made or natural water hole is different IMO. I did not scout it, I did not find it. I paid to hunt it. There is nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me.

It's more about the hunt, then the kill to me. In my eyes Africa is more about the kill than the hunt.

Mr. Dave Samuel
"The key to trophy hunting is not the science and it is not in killing trophies. It is the philosophy, the value to each trophy hunter, and the way it was done. The key to trophy hunting isn't in the killing, it is in the hunting and the hunting is the philosophy."
I am learning the above, the hardway
I don't know who Dave Samuel is Germ.. but I couldn't agree more with his quote.

I'm intrigued now.. since I have always hunted with a philosophical approach to taking whitetail.

Who is he?
Wrote a buck called "Know Hunting" Every hunter should read this book IMO.

Will thx for the read, I truly am grateful to have you here. I was just recanting what I "knew" about hunting Africa. After you listen to 10 stories over how they killed a kuda over a waterhole, you get a little bored.

From the people I knew, it was more of a "look what I did" than about hunting. Thank you for a new perpesctive.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Will
You are a true inspiration to hunters and have an amazing outlook on life & hunting. Thanks for sharing your real life experiences and setting things straight.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Rybo....This man LIVES it more than any person I've ever met. He's a walking encyclopedia (re: hunting).
Old 11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, no desire to hunt African game of any kind. I will stick to whitetail, they are what gets my blood pumping.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Been there 3 times and would love to one day go back.

The people who say they are not interested don't know what they are missing out on.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Summer of 2010! plains game is what im going for with the stick and string
Old 11-24-2008, 05:20 PM

Its one of my dreams to go hunt africa with my bow.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never have been interested in the least. I have been lucky enough to kill 6 NA species and put 4 in P&Y.

There are many more species in North America that I'd Love to go after, but Africa really doesn't interest me.

Dan

Quick Reply: African safari hunt. Yay or nay?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.