Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Schultzy..need your help man! >

Schultzy..need your help man!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Schultzy..need your help man!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Schultzy..need your help man!

I am a pretty big boy also and when I hunt trad I was shooting a #50 black widow, Don't fooled into heavy poundage it will be the biggest mistake you would make!! Just remember trad shooting is a commitment you can't take lightly, you will have to shoot more than you ever did with your compound. Good luck and have fun! Walt
Old 11-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

For a beginner especially your age, you can't really beat an older Bear Recurve. Late 60's early 70's. IMO they are still better then the trad equipment Bear is putting out now. Most were made in the #45 at 28" range which is perfect for a beginner. Be sure to ask about stress crack. They usually appear at the fade outs and as long as they run parallel with the limbs they are ok. But if they run perpendicular or meet (come toghether) then I'd stay away. Also ask if the bow has limb twists.A lot of these bows were stored incorrectly. It can usually be fixed by someone who knows what they are doing though.You can usually pick one up between $150 and $200.

Below is a small clip of my son shooting his early seventies Bear Kodiak at the 2008 Hawkeye Traditional Shoot. He just turned 13 before the pic was taken.

Josh

Old 11-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys