Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Schultzy..need your help man! >

Schultzy..need your help man!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Schultzy..need your help man!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Schultzy..need your help man!

Schultzy

I wanna go traditional!!

help me out..

I'm 15 and on a very small budget!!

Which would be better Recurve or Longbow?

tell me what I need to know!
Old 11-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Schultzy..need your help man!

It's totally up to you on what you want to start out with. Shoot a recurve and a longbow and see what feels better In your hand. Your best bet Is to post a thread In the Traditional Forum and get some advice In there from a bunch of other experienced Traditional shooters besides just myself. When and If you do decide the traditional route, start out light In draw weight (40lb to 45lb) so you can learn good form, release and technique. The one thing about shooting traditional bows that's much more touchy then shooting a compound Is form. It's a must If you want consistency.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Archery and a small budget.....hmmm!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Chase... this is you all day long....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0056960418535a&type=product&cm Cat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=fred+bear+recurve&Ntk=Pro ducts&sort=all&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&_D %3Asort=+&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_DARGS=%2Fc abelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

Don't go kill'em all now!

No seriously, what Schulzy said about not over bowing yourself starting out is absolutely critical. And true too is that you just gotta shoot both.... I did... and now I own four recurves.... and after two years of semi-serious practice.... I still suck.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

haha.. thanks Swamp!

I'm 5'8.. bench 190s... I'm pulling 70# on my Pearson easily.

I do need something with 40-55..since no let-off it would be different
Old 11-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm 5'8.. bench 190s... I'm pulling 70# on my Pearson easily.

I do need something with 40-55..since no let-off it would be different
I benched 300lbs and weighed 160lbs In school as senior. Them muscles don't mean nothing when pulling a bow back. Trust me Chase, stick to a low poundage bow. 40 to 45lb max when starting out. Start out light on a cheap bow and work your way up In pounds to a different better bow once your muscles and form get good. It will take a while, longer then you think. I didn't follow these guide lines like I should of, my bad habits still show once In a while after 14 straight years of hunting with my recurve.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok..well thanks for clearing that up for me!!!

40lbs to start!
Old 11-20-2008, 12:01 AM
Fork Horn

Chasebaker

I have a 20lb kayes Merchandise recurse a red indian bow that I had when I was 12 till now... Seeing as you are in Illinois. I will send it to you... if you want for free... i say you start out on the very light end of things so that you can learn how to shoot by instint. PM me for details
Old 11-20-2008, 02:19 AM
Banned

some bows will "fit" you, some will not

I've owned/trade/bought/sold literally hundreds of bows, I learned a few things along that way.

Some will fit you, some will not. You're new to trad, so you won't really know which until you start shooting. if you can find an archery shop or bowyer local to you, that could help big time. If you don't have that luxury? My suggestion is EBAY - buy a nice bow, and if it doesn't "fit"? Sell it back for +/1 a few dollars and buy another. its a low cost way IMO to try a bunch of bows.

A 45-50 # bow would be a great start.A nice older Bear recurve would be a good start. Carbon arrows are your best bet to fly well. To start off though? Buy a nice bow, a stringer, some carbons, and go shoot!

Seriously. Thats all there is to it to start. I shoot a batting glove, some people shoot tabs, some gloves, some fingers (ugh) Try a batting or raquetball glove, if you bare finger it you'll be raw fingered in 15 shots.

If you play sports, you already know a couple of thing. Exact form + concentration = consistancy. If you shoot a free throw the exact same way 10 times in a row, you'll make 10 shots.

If you draw, concentrate, anchor, release .... identically 10 times in a row, your arrows will be very very closely grouped. That consistancy is what trad archery is all about IMO.

Don't worry about HOW to shoot IMO, some people shoot olympic archery style, some gap shoot, some point of aim, some are left eye dominant and right handed, some push/pull when they shoot ........ some snap shoot, some hold for s second ...... IMO what matters is you shoot what feels NATURAL to you, and the same way every time.

Again, like other sports, Peyton Manning has a different delivery than say, Byron Leftwich - but both can put the ball where they want, and Michael Jordan had a gorgeous shot, Lebron not so much- both are super ball players. So too does every archer shoot differently.

If I had a bow to send you I would.

Do you have some arrows to start with? You find and get a bow, and I'll send you some wood's I made. Its unlikely they'll fly spined for your setup (maybe we'll get lucky and they will) but you can shoot them and lose them and break them and it'll cost you $ 0.000 to do it

http://cgi.ebay.com/BROWNING-NOMAD-STALKER-RECURVEBOW_W0QQitemZ230308035823QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230308035823&_trk sid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C3 9%3A1%7C240%3A1318

that would be a nice bow I think - I like the older Browning Bows. Nomad's and Cobra's ... I also like the older Bear Tigercat bows.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAMON-HOWATT-HUNTER-RECURVE-BOW-LONGBOW-55-XLNT_W0QQitemZ150309914275QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item150309914275&_trksid=p3 286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1% 7C240%3A1318

another decent starter bow - EBAY is full of them to be honest.

Another thing - I shoot off the shelf, never an elevated rest.

If you do start trad, PM me and I'll send you some arrows .....

Old 11-20-2008, 02:31 AM
Banned

I like a recurve over a longbow unless its a high end 3 peice TD longbow -

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=027124

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=027227

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=026793

Quick Reply: Schultzy..need your help man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.