Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

thanks schultzy

Old 10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default thanks schultzy

OK, Tonight I got in my stand at 4:15. My stand in located at the bottom of a big draw coming out of a pasture, and im overlooking a small 2 acre. opening with a pond at my back. I rattle and grunt at 445 and instantly a yearling with two fawns appears across from me, and he is right on there tale. I was glad to see the fawns alone (mother has pushed them away, or a larger buck). I rattled off and on and used my buck growl to follow, and rattled in 3 diffrent bucks, one a respectable 140-145 9 point. at 6:30 sun was down and temp was falling a bit, I had 2 130-140 8points come directly in front of me and began to fight. after about 2 minutes, I seen a rack from my front left heading towards the 2 that were fighting, with bow already in hand, he made it into the opening and WOW, 155-160 9point, 24in. wide long tines, everything youd want in a 9. He watched the youngens and was looking in my direction, I heard heavy steps coming from behind me but had a cedar blocking it. I finally caught a glempse of tines through the limbs, and could tell it was a dandy. He came out of the thicket to my left at 20 yards, and 1/4 away in a posturing mode, heading toward the big 9. I cant tell you how many points he has but can tell you he dwarfed the 9. Really tall rack, big bladed tins (thick) 5 1/2 year old + buck. he had stickers, and was extremely heavy. im guessing him in the 170's min. he continues toward the 9 and he was heading into an area i had ranged prior at 35 yards, I drew and he went a few steps past the spot still 1/4ing but not to hard, and i put my 40 a tad low, and touched it off. I could not see the arrow him him but it sounded like I shot through a watermelon. he bolted into the woods, and i didnt hear him crash. Im shooting PSE FirestormX 70lbs and rage 2 blade. I got down (somewhat dark now) and couldnt find blood or arrow, but seen where he had kicked up the dirt, and headed down a trail. I backed out and will wait until light........DID I MESS UP, or should i go back and look.......I figured since im not sure of the hit better safe than sorry....and let him bed up and take it up tomorrow......Hopefully pics coming soon.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stuck a GIANT in Kansas....letting him lay overnight.....Story within

As long as coyotes aren't a problem, it sounds like you are making the right decision.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Stuck a GIANT in Kansas....letting him lay overnight.....Story within

So you didn't see any blood? Did you hear a crash?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Spike

No blood, at impact, and thought that about 2 min after the shot i heard a crash (but not sure) back in the direction he acme from. im wondering now after thinking if i hit him far back and i gut shot him and it angled and lodged in the off shoulder. I went in the woods 50yds and no blood but could see his tracks. when i hit him it knocked him sideways. im not going to be able to sleep....coyotes are a problem here, but maybe they will lead me to him....or the crows. The woods is 150 yds wide then its across a big open dirt field, im guessing hes trying to make it back where he came from (by the pond in the bottom of the valley.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

What time exactly did you shoot him?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

wow..great story, but here is my input. first off, i hope ur deer is down..and down hard. secondly, if there is no blood and u were
shooting a rage...u did not put a great shot on that deer. most deer walk real slow if hit in the stomach?? u said it ran...
thirdly...at 35 yrds u put the 40 pin LOW?? i think on a deer of that quality, i am skipping the heart punch shot and putting the
40 pin mid chest...
i hope u find him in the morning...i couldnt have waited
Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you have buddies and lanterns I would get out there after 4 hours if you are in anyway confident about the shot placement and get looking...
Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

If you have buddies and lanterns I would get out there after 4 hours if you are in anyway confident about the shot placement and get looking...
That's what I was getting at by asking exactly what time he shot it. 4-6 hours and get that buck before the yotes do!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NCRemington700

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

That's what I was getting at by asking exactly what time he shot it. 4-6 hours and get that buck before the yotes do!
Thats how it works here....just didnt wanna say it earlier...
Old 10-29-2008, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck finding him!!!

Quick Reply: thanks schultzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.