Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Texas bowhunters beware! >

Texas bowhunters beware!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Texas bowhunters beware!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Texas bowhunters beware!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20081110aParks and Wildlife is considering a change to the early youth only season to include the entire month of October. Thats right OCTOBER. What is now archery only season would become archery for adults and youth gun season.That would really screw me at my hunt club. The 2 day early season had the lease over run with nieces, nephews, sons, daughters, 2nd cousins, step sons grandbabys, etc.
Don't get me wrong, I want to see kids get involved in hunting and do all I can to get kids out during the general season. I don't want the entire Archery Only season run concurrent with a youth gun season.
How many adults are out there hunting during youth only and bringing a kid along just to fill a tag?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Texas bowhunters beware!

If or when the law changes and goes in, It will have an affect on the hunting clubs like you mentioned. I personally will still bowhunt my bowhunting places on private land as well as enjoying taking my son out to rifle hunt as well. It would be on seperate land. But then again I bowhunt where there are very little bowhunters. I even went to the local wal-mart earlier this bowseason and noticed they had no archery gear. I asked the man behind the counter and he said "naw, we don't really have much need for it here". One thing that you can do is get in on a public hunting land that is strictly bowhunting only. Me and my brother do this quite a bit. Its fairly crowded at first (with a bunch of idiots that can't hunt and very few that accually harvest a deer), but by the time rifle season opens, we are nearly the only one's there and the gunshots going off elsewhere brings in a whole new crop of deer. as far as your comment about taking a kid along just to fill the tag early, well, if someone's going to do that, they will also shoot one illegally before season opens as well as buying a liscense for thier mom, sister, wife, etc. and filling thier tags too.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Texas bow hunters beware!

Agreed Greg

I want to see kiddos in the woods picking up our sport as well. I originally got into bow hunting because I could get a extra month in of deer hunting. I would have never picked up a bow had I been able to shoot a rifle all deer season. That means I would have never found out my true passion for bow hunting and how much I love it. I have a twelve year old cousin who wants to get into bow hunting so he can get to hunt more. I am pushing him and my uncle as hard as I can to get into it together. But I know if he can rifle hunt all of Oct, he most likely will.