Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Texas Bowhunters >

Texas Bowhunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Texas Bowhunters

Old 10-08-2003, 07:45 PM

Default Texas Bowhunters

High folks! I' m new to this site, but I' ve been hunting the crosstimbers and south Texas for 24 years the last five with my wife. I' m interested in how the season is going for other bow hunters this year in Texas. I' ve been lucky enough to fill one of my doe tags, but have not seen as much activity as last couple of years.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Texas Bowhunters

I have harvested a doe myself. I got her on opening weekend Sunday morning. I have a big buck that his coming by my stand but I have yet to get a shot at him. We are hunting East Texas this year, after 3 years of hunting the hill country.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:52 AM

Hey xtimbers - I also hunt the crosstimbers area. We' ve got a lease about 25 miles north of Ranger. I went out opening weekend and passed on a small buck and a doe with a fawn. Going back tomorrow night and planning to stay till Monday. Hope to use one of my doe tags.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the reply, I hope to here form more of us.
We have one place just west of Chalk Mountain, about a half hour from the house.Then another south of Crystal City in Dimmit county, a full day drive but lots of deer, hogs ect...
Old 10-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt down south in dilley things are slow and wet so far this season.My hunting partner got a cull buck and a hog opening weekend but movement is slow going back down today.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:05 PM

I also hunt east texas...Longview area. Ive seen lots of deer this year and lots more bucks than in the past years...but ALL fairly small. Im in college now so i had to buy a public hunting permit so that i can hunt closer than 3 hours away. Now hunting Somerville WMA, seems good so far.

unfortunately, our land in Longview has lots of natural gas, so they decided to build a new rig the week before bow season started. They are only using about 75% of our land. The deer maybe will get concentrated on the 25% they arent using? but more than likely they will just hop on the other side of the fence. Oh well, I would still rather hunt there any day than public land...too many variable (people) on public land!
Old 10-15-2003, 08:02 AM

I haven' t been able to go out as much as I normally do since my wife got sick but the few times I have been out have been kinda slow. Passed on a small nubbin buck and couple of does..... looking back I should have taken one of the does!

I hunt just outside of Graham.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:57 AM

Im in the midst of a 9 day hunting vacation, I hunt in coleman and brown counties. mornigns have been slow, evenings have been better. should pick up a bit more with this cold front that moved thru last night. saw 6 last evening, 5 bucks and a doe. had an 8 point within 20 yards ful broadside, but he was only a 2.5 year old so I let him walk. Saw a much bigger 8 point an hour later but was 60 yards out. Im back in dallas today for my sis' s first baby' s arrival then Im back down to central texas to wrap up the week. good luck
Old 10-17-2003, 09:35 PM

we hunt in palo pinto county. our cams have taken pics of some extremely good deer. they are feeding strictly at nite right now. we are just not seeing much in the day time. also the place is covered with acorns