Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Texas Bowhunters >

Texas Bowhunters

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Texas Bowhunters

Old 02-14-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Texas Bowhunters

Hello All,
My wife who is originally from East Texas is headed back there this weekend and after tiddying up the dead here I'll be headed there.

I have been researching the hog hunting there and I'mexcited to find your great state is overrun with hogs. Sounds to me like as long as you find the right areas you're 99.9% guaranteed a pig.

My internet reasearch is showing numerus ranches within a 3 hour drive from Dallas selling hog hunts for 200-300 and up.

I am not oppossed to spending a couple hundred bucks to shoot a good pig, heck I'll spend that easy here on a 3 day trout fishing or deer trip all to get skunked.

I gotta wonder though if there are land owners there just wanting to thin'em out and let you come shoot them for free.

Also, is wild hog meat good eating? One thing I love is a big country breakfast with eggs, sausage, ham and bacon. Is the wild hog meat similar to commercialy sold pork products?

Thanks,

Metro

Old 02-14-2006, 05:30 PM

Default RE: Texas Bowhunters

Nope! It's not similar at all. Wild pig is SO much better!

There are landowners that would love to have someone come in and do some thinning, you just have to find them. I wish I could help ya out, but work has me pretty tied up right now. I know my lease is overrun with those porkers, but I haven't even been able to take myself huntin.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM

I BET IT IS, YES ITS A GREAT MEAT FOR BACON, SAUSAGE OR HAM, HOPE YOU LIKE IT, I ALWAYS HUNT ON ZAPATA TEXAS AND IS AWESOME.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: metro

I gotta wonder though if there are land owners there just wanting to thin'em out and let you come shoot them for free.

Also, is wild hog meat good eating?

A good way to find a free hog hunt might be to just call a number thats advertising hay for sale, cause them hogs tear up a hay field in a hurry, and if he's got any there he'll want 'em gone.
And saying that wild hog is good eating would be the understatement of the century. I hate to say it, but I'd take the hogs we kill over venison every day of the week and twice on sundays. Take that big hind quarter and cook it like a roast....Can't hardly be beat.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wild pork will make you chunk rocks at any other kind of meat. It'll make you want to go home and slap your momma for feeding you that store bought crap all those years.

Every once in awhile you can run across someone who wants the pigs gone so bad they'll let you hunt for free, but those opportunities are getting few and far between. The landowners have figured out they can make nearly as much money off the hogs on their land as they can the deer.

If you're going to be here for a short time, I'd go ahead and pay instead of wasting what little time you've got for hunting just hunting for a place to hunt. If you're moving back, then you'll have time to snoop around to find something less damaging to your wallet.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2006, 07:26 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

What Arthur said. Another consideration is that most of the farmers that want them gone the hogs are tearing up hay fields or grain fields and they do it at night. They move around a lot and often times don't hit the same fields every night. With limited time and looking for a place to hunt there is probably a 99.9% chance you wouldn't get a hog. Pay a good outfitter and you will get one if you don't miss.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
The landowners have figured out they can make nearly as much money off the hogs on their land as they can the deer.
With these outfitters I have been seeing, the price of anywhere from 2-3-500 also includes some kind of decent bunkhouse and dinner and breakfast along with a guide to help you find them.

If these landowners are charging hopefully it would be a bit cheaper to just gain access to the land.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm yer huckleberry.