Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Uggh! I was fooled!! >

Uggh! I was fooled!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Uggh! I was fooled!!

Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Uggh! I was fooled!!

Went out last night to try to fill a doe tag. Saw a few smaller bucks in the timber and a nice one about 70 yards out. Right at last light I had my stuff packed and was ready to get down when I had three deer come over the fence into the hayfield surrounding the wooded draw I was in. They started to head away from me about50 yards out. One was a runt and the other two were medium sized and surely big enough to shoot. The two bigger ones began to pin their ears back and reared up and flailed hooves at each other a couple times. I had nothing to lose so I gave them a doe grunt and sure enough they all started heading my way. They turned up the draw, but were going to end up on the downwind sideof me. I came to full draw as the lead deer was ready to clear some scrub trees 20 yards broadside. She then locked up the brakes and undoubtedly had entered my scent stream. She bolted straight awayand the small deer turned and ran into the field a ways following her. The third deer bringing up the rear didn't seem tonotice and I drew on that one 30 yards out before it got downwind of me. I let the arrow fly and dropped it in its tracks. I gathered my things and hurried down to check it out and to quickly field dress it as light would fade very soon. As I walked up to it I immediately noticed the blockier jaw and slightly larger neck. Crap! A buck with two 1" long satan horns hiding in its fur! I hadn't had time to really lookitover, and after seeing them having a boxing match, I was convinced they were both going to be does. So much for my balancing the herd.[]I was pretty disappointed in myself, but it's a lesson to be learned.
Another deer to feed the homeless anyway, but I'll be more attentive next time. Didn't bother to take pics as I wasn't exactly in the highest spirits upon my discovery. Anyway, thought I'd share the event.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Uggh! I was fooled!!

Filling that doe tag can be a frustrating experience. I do a good deal of hunting on a DNR managed hunt area in Maryland where it is required to take a doe before a buck. So naturally first day of the season I have not one...BUT TWO shooter bucks walk directly under my stand. It was quite painful to watch them walk on by. Luckily I bagged my doe last night and am ready to see if I can track down the big boys. probably not...
Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

thats too bad...probably not any comfort but at least you have meat in the freezer that will taste delicious!!
Old 11-19-2008, 01:25 PM

I think most of us who have shot any large numbers of deer have been there with ya.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

I think most of us who have shot any large numbers of deer have been there with ya.
Yeah, the downer for me was that I've been at this long enough now that I thought I would easily be able todistinguish a button buck from a doe. The heat of the moment itchy-triggerapparently over took my judgement.
I'm suppose in the grand scheme of things the ratio of theherd isn't going to get too far out of wack over one deer.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been there done that. I shot one fora doe about 3-4 yrs ago as light was fading....same thing. Ithad 2" spikes that layed back along his head, I couldn't even come close to seeing them. Weird thing...he was a 2.5yr old....a pathetic one for sure, but I thought it was a big doe.

Hey don't feel bad, you did the herd a favor! Any buck in IA that isn't an8pt at birth needs to be whacked LOL, just kidding. Now go get his GRANDAD [8D]
Old 11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: WV Hunter

Been there done that. I shot one fora doe about 3-4 yrs ago as light was fading....same thing. Ithad 2" spikes that layed back along his head, I couldn't even come close to seeing them. Weird thing...he was a 2.5yr old....a pathetic one for sure, but I thought it was a big doe.

Hey don't feel bad, you did the herd a favor! Any buck in IA that isn't an8pt at birth needs to be whacked LOL, just kidding. Now go get his GRANDAD [8D]
Thanks for the words of encouragement. And lucky for me I may have already got his granddad a couple weeks ago from the very same tree.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy sheep droppings! Nice buck.