HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Uggh! I was fooled!!
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2008, 11:29 AM
IAhuntr
Typical Buck

Default Uggh! I was fooled!!

Went out last night to try to fill a doe tag. Saw a few smaller bucks in the timber and a nice one about 70 yards out. Right at last light I had my stuff packed and was ready to get down when I had three deer come over the fence into the hayfield surrounding the wooded draw I was in. They started to head away from me about50 yards out. One was a runt and the other two were medium sized and surely big enough to shoot. The two bigger ones began to pin their ears back and reared up and flailed hooves at each other a couple times. I had nothing to lose so I gave them a doe grunt and sure enough they all started heading my way. They turned up the draw, but were going to end up on the downwind sideof me. I came to full draw as the lead deer was ready to clear some scrub trees 20 yards broadside. She then locked up the brakes and undoubtedly had entered my scent stream. She bolted straight awayand the small deer turned and ran into the field a ways following her. The third deer bringing up the rear didn't seem tonotice and I drew on that one 30 yards out before it got downwind of me. I let the arrow fly and dropped it in its tracks. I gathered my things and hurried down to check it out and to quickly field dress it as light would fade very soon. As I walked up to it I immediately noticed the blockier jaw and slightly larger neck. Crap! A buck with two 1" long satan horns hiding in its fur! I hadn't had time to really lookitover, and after seeing them having a boxing match, I was convinced they were both going to be does. So much for my balancing the herd.[]I was pretty disappointed in myself, but it's a lesson to be learned.
Another deer to feed the homeless anyway, but I'll be more attentive next time. Didn't bother to take pics as I wasn't exactly in the highest spirits upon my discovery. Anyway, thought I'd share the event.