Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Feed

Old 11-19-2008, 01:37 AM
Spike

Default Feed

Have not shot anything yet either to far or not seen the buck i'm after [:@]my question is will the deer come back to the feed once gun season is over, and the late season begins.[&o]time is running out i will try anything right now, to get close the the deer i would like to see and shot.

Bow DXT 29.5 70%
Old 11-19-2008, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feed

It is highly doubtful that a pressured, mature deer (either sex) will come to bait during daylight hours. You may fool a young doe or button buck anytime. Not too sure what you're targeting.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Feed

After the mast crops have been depleted.....you're gonna find ALL deer coming to whatever food source is available to them. If that's "feed".....and you can hunt it legally....go for it. It won't have anything to do with what weapon's in season, though. It'll have everything to do with the rut winding down, preferred food sources having been depleted......and deer needing to get back to feeding (bucks) on a more regular basis.

I have a spot I can't hunt....but I can see what comes through it. The landowner feeds deer, there. I haven't seen a single deer go to the feed in weeks. That tells me the deer aren't having trouble finding alternate food sources........yet.

We had a bumper acorn crop this year. They staggered.....and different species dropped at different times. The deer are also having to travel further out to get to the remaining acorns. It's an exciting time....and it'll only get better here as the need for them to travel to said sources will see them on their feet, more.

I'm looking forward to this last month. I think it's going to be great.

I wish you luck.