Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Controlled round Feed vs Push Feed >

Controlled round Feed vs Push Feed

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Controlled round Feed vs Push Feed

Old 01-11-2005, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Controlled round Feed vs Push Feed

Ok I think this CRF is way over done especially by some outdoor writers. I don't buy into it at all in fact for most shooting it is a hindrance especially when shooting at the range.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:22 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Controlled round Feed vs Push Feed

Totally agree. But, I too fall in this trap, of looking down on Pushfeeds over CRF. In my head, I understand for the dangerous whitetail charges, nothing wrong with a pushfeed or CRF, in fact probably won't make a difference. But in the back of my mind, I guess from hearing about Pre64's my whole life, it has been drove in to me that its superior and needed.

Only thing I like is a nice extractor. I like the PFCRF. Positive extraction

Old 01-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was an African hunter (hardee har not in this life) I would insist on it but that is not the case. I think people need to know up front if their rifle won't load upside down or sideways, but only in my military years did I ever shoot that way.

I shoot single shot so that is about as controlled feed as I can get!! :-)
Old 01-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah... I would chose control round feed if I had a choice, but it really isn't that big of a deal.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:37 PM

oldelkhunter,

why do you concider crf a hindrance -is it with a particular rifle brand? I have a feeling of security with it...having the rifle raising to my shoulder/ chambering the second shot...knowing it's there, not hiding at my feet in the sage. but thats hunting/plinking, I suppose if you are trying to save undented brass the crpf is easier to remove case?
Old 01-12-2005, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

With me I guess it depends on what kind of push feed rifle it is. I don't like Remington 700's at all. I've had trouble in the past with that puny little extractor and I'm not too crazy about a plunger ejector either. The safety leaves a lot to be desired also in my opinion.

My push feed Sako 75's are a different story, though. These are my favorite rifles. The Sako style extractor has never given me any problems and I like the fact that these rifles have a fixed blade ejector instead of a plunger. I'm also fond of the shorter bolt lift due to the 3 lug design. This gives you plenty of clearance between the bolt handle and the scope.

Speaking of the Sako style extractor, I find it interesting that this type of extractor is not called a Mauser style extractor. The reason I say that is because Mauser used this same type extractor in their model 1891 way before Sako came along.

Anyway, I also own a CRF pre-64 Model 70. For the kind of hunting I do the CRF is certainly not necessary, but I do like that big claw extractor and fixed ejector. There is one thing about this rifle I wish I could change, though. If I could I'd give it a shorter bolt lift like the Sakos. The bolt handle just comes too close to the scope for my liking, but I can live with it I guess.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

[ why do you concider crf a hindrance -is it with a particular rifle brand? I have a feeling of security with it...having the rifle raising to my shoulder/ chambering the second shot...knowing it's there, not hiding at my feet in the sage. but thats hunting/plinking, I suppose if you are trying to save undented brass the crpf is easier to remove case?
Using a 700 or similiar push feed you have had cases jump out of the reciever have you? Someone better put the word in for our Snipers in Afghanistan, Iraq and God knows what hell hole to stop using those PF rifles and get them some CRF rifles.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

My push feed Sako 75's are a different story, though. These are my favorite rifles. The Sako style extractor has never given me any problems and I like the fact that these rifles have a fixed blade ejector instead of a plunger. I'm also fond of the shorter bolt lift due to the 3 lug design. This gives you plenty of clearance between the bolt handle and the scope.
I agree with you 100% on that just a great design and far superior to the Remington action . I have however not had a problem ejecting or feeding shells into any Remington I own.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:33 AM
bigcountry

With 700's I have never had them jump out, but have missed them while cycling to get the round. In my excitement it may have been short stroked. Like this new 700ADL 204 ruger. You have to load them just right in the mag, or it jams or misses the round.

Old 01-12-2005, 07:45 PM

I fail to see how you could do more than tear the rim off of a case with crf. I've done it with a Remington extractor on a slide action rifle.

Quick Reply: Controlled round Feed vs Push Feed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.