Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Please explain the new Mathews bows? >

Please explain the new Mathews bows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Please explain the new Mathews bows?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please explain the new Mathews bows?

ORIGINAL: Dopler

Also, after market strings can change a bow speed dramatically.
Ding ding ding...

Someone asked me a while back what some of my secrets for getting a bow to shoot over IBO or over a bowtechs BC are... a good aftermarket string can net you as much as an extra 12-15 fps. And thats how I have Gary's Ally shooting over BC with an arrow that is 34 grains heavier and at 65#s to boot.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Ding ding ding...

Someone asked me a while back what some of my secrets for getting a bow to shoot over IBO or over a bowtechs BC are... a good aftermarket string can net you as much as an extra 12-15 fps. And thats how I have Gary's Ally shooting over BC with an arrow that is 34 grains heavier and at 65#s to boot.
correct me if Im wrong, but can't it work to the opposite effect as well? Don't 452x strings slow your bow down a few fps since they are heavier? That's what I have read, never have looked into it.

What are stock strings made of for most companies now?

That is sweet about gainin that much on the Bowtech.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Ding ding ding...

correct me if Im wrong, but can't it work to the opposite effect as well? Don't 452x strings slow your bow down a few fps since they are heavier? That's what I have read, never have looked into it.

What are stock strings made of for most companies now?

That is sweet about gainin that much on the Bowtech.
Absolutely. Just about anything that will work one way will work the other as well. Archery equipment is almost 100% give and take... gain speed... take stealth and shootability..... gain forgiveness... give up speed.... add weight to string... gain stealth... give speed. Gotta find a happy balance.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: Michbowhunter

What did you expect a BowTech dealer to tell you, buy a Mathews? BowTech's are good bows, but why take someone's word for it - shoot them all, then decide on the one that best fits YOU.
did ya just skip the "and the background research" line? Also, I guess I should have clarified more, with the guy I met (and now work for) it was more a person/shop commitment as it was a brand commitment.

By the way, BT fans as you put it, are just as "abrassive" asany other--especially in this forum!
Maybe so, but first impressions last a lifetime and when I first started shooting I got more "shoot and see what you like" from BT fans and more "get a mathews" from the mathews boys. Oh well though, its all just personal preference
I was just having some fun with ya. I agree that most Mathews shooters believeits the bestbow on the planet, and why shouldn't they?But as I said, Bt shooters feel the same way, and they have every right to as well. Its all relative to preference; however, someare not objective in their opinions, because they're benefiting in some way by saying one or the other is the best.

I shoot Mathews, butI'm planning to shoot all Mathews, Hoyt, and Bowtech 2009 models, and the one that fits the best, is the one I'll be shooting next year. I think if you don't try'em all out, then you're sort of cheating yourself, and even youeluded to that fact when you said not shooting a Mathews prior to purchasing the BT may have been a mistake.

Personally, I haven't shot a BT yet, but I did handle a Guardian that a guy was shooting at the range, and although, it felt a little heavy for my taste, it was definitely one of the quietest bows I've ever heard!
Old 11-19-2008, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

Nice post, Dopler, thanks for the info.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

All I know is...my shop got one of the new 340IBO bows in....and he shot his hunting arrow through it, today. The one he chrono'd was a 29" (instead of a 30")....and the arrow weight was 6gr over IBO.

298fps.

LOL I get that out of my DIAMOND MARQUIS @ 29" 61# with a 28.5" arrow...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

All I know is...my shop got one of the new 340IBO bows in....and he shot his hunting arrow through it, today. The one he chrono'd was a 29" (instead of a 30")....and the arrow weight was 6gr over IBO.

298fps.
I contacted the local Mathews dealer, which is owned by my cousin's father-in-law, and they said the new Reezin 6.5 set to 71lbs chrono'd @ 315 with a 29" shaft weighing 350 grains.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]I contacted the local Mathews dealer, which is owned by my cousin's father-in-law, and they said the new Reezin 6.5 set to 71lbs chrono'd @ 315 with a 29" shaft weighing 350 grains. [/quote]

Mind you thats probably bare string. No cat whiskers/leeches no peep no strong loop no kisser no brass knock knocking point. These new mathews bows will probably shoot like an 82nd airborne except for their hyped numbers.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I shot one today with a fletcher peep in it, d-loop and a prong rest, basically a shop bow. It was a 29", 6.5 Reezin set at 60.5lbs.,it was a 50-60 lb bow. I shot my 400 grain Axis hunting arrow though the graph at 282-284 about 12 times in a row. I shot it 12 times to ensure I was getting into the wall consistently.

I then fired my hunting bow, an '07 Vectrix which I have never chrono'dsince I bought it in July 07 [8D]. It's set at 64lbs, 28" draw cams, d-loop, superpeep, truball speedballs on the string. It shot the same arrow at 270-272 10 shots in a row.

Not a good enough reezin for me to buy the Reezin. Considering that I'll get a 28" bow, and lose 8-10 fps right there. And my Vectrix set at 64lbs, drew and fired a lot smoother than the Reezin did at 60......to me anyway. I don't really see me gaining any fps worth sacrificing the smooth draw and release I like to have for myself in a hunting bow. I liked the Reezin, but just not enough to dump the cash into it. I understand to get speed you gotta cam the bow, but I"m not a speed freak, so that's not a selling point to me.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Mathews have always exagerated the speed of their bows. They are good bows nonetheless.

Bow companies test the speed of their bows at IBO which is70#, 30" draw, 350 grain arrow. As a thumb rule, you'll lose 8-10 fps for each inch you reduce the draw length. Also, big speed robbers are the following: Peep sights with rubber hose attachments you'll lose 10-15 fps with one of these. String loop, 3-5 fps, metalstring loop, 12-18 fps,Stand alone peeps like the metapeep 3-5 fps (you'll gain in veryrare occasion if you don't have speed nocks on close to the cam(s)).String silencers, 1-2 fps for each one added (the closer to the cams = less speed reduction but also less noise reduction). A simple brass nock in the center string location will cost youabout 1 fps each (brass nocks close to the cam can actually increase speed by a few fps). You will also gain about 2 fps on averagefor each pound of pullyou add. On average, you'll also lose about4-5 fps for every 10 grains ofstring or arrow weight you add over 350 grains.

I'll use myPSE Dream Seasonas an example. PSE rates it at 340 fps at IBO. I have 31"draw andI have 73#'s of pull= 8fps extra for draw and 6 fps extra for pull bringingit to 352 fps IBO. I have a 391 grain arrow, two nocks, one meta peep whcih adds about 50 grains extraover the IBO weight which according to this formula, my bow should be getting about 332 fps. My bow is actually getting 327 fps so it's right there with this formula. This is a good way to figure out if you bow is performing as it should be.

Other things to be aware ofare aftermarket cable slides, I've tried some that slow a bow as much as 20 fps. Also, after market strings can change a bow speed dramatically.It's good to chrono your bow before and after before you make any change to your bowto make sure that what you're doing is not adverselyaffecting it.

Good additions that will quiet your bow withoutrobbing speed are. 1. Stabilizers. 2. Cable silencers 3. STS systemsand 4 limbs silencers. Another trick that will add speed (2fps or so in some cases)is to wrap your solid limbs in camo hunting fleece, it reduces vibration and adds a little speed.

And yes, I am a completenut when it comes to maximizingbow efficiency. It's an off season hobby of mine.
And lets not forget mathews zebra strings arent the best quality you get a vapor trail or a winners choice with fewer strands the faster the bow will get. I noticed that my Diamond Marquis @ 61# 29" draw with a winners choice string Chronod at 303FPS with g5 meta peep and string loop.