Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The moon phase business re-visited. >

The moon phase business re-visited.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The moon phase business re-visited.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default The moon phase business re-visited.

Justan observation on this years rutting activity. I just got home from work tonight and on the way home I drove by my local honey-hole to check for any buck action. I saw three different P&Y qualitybucks at separate sites each standing guard over a single doe. No chasing, no harassing, just close proximity guarding.This was all within aquarter-mile stretch of road and all these deer were feeding within 50 feet of the road. I came to a complete stop next to two of the buck-doe pairs and they were largely unaffected by my presence. Of course they were fully aware of me,but not so much as torun off like they would at any other time of the year.One of the bucks had his nose buried in the dirt where his doe had just stood and looked up at me for a second and then stuck his nose right back to that spot. Two smaller bucks were on the outskirts of these groups, but were being closely watched by the breeder bucks.

According to the moon phase theory, the bulk of does were tobe triggeredinto estrous 2-4 days after last Thursday's fullmoon.Today would mark the point where the bucks would be in the midst of their 48 hours of being locked ontothe firstparticular doe they would breed over a 48 hour period. This is very consistant with what I've seen the last 2 days. The rutting activity has also been a bit less intense overall this year which Mr. CharlesAlsheimer, the moon phase guru,states is a byproduct of a later rut. For those not familiar with him or his work, he hasdedicated a good share of his adult life to the study and observation of whitetail deer behavior, particularly the rut.
I've been interested, yet skeptical of the moon theory for several yearsbut have watched how it coincides with rutting activity each of the past 4-5 seasons. It has largely been right on the money, the only exception being 2 of those years in which we had abnormally high temps on those key dates in which the breeding was to take place. On those 2 years the rut kicked into high gear immediately upon the next cold front following the moonphase prediction date.
This year would prove to be the make or break year for me as it wasconsiderablylater than normal, yet it seems in my part of the country it hit the nail on the head. It is becoming harder to dismiss as sheer coincidence from me being a very scientific person.
No need to flame as I have no gain in the matter other than sheer curiosity of these intriguing beast we continue to pursue, but feel free to add your personal observations these past couple days.
Just .02 to ponder from one person's observation of this season.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The moon phase business re-visited.

Interesting stuff....
Old 11-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

My rut observations occurred much later this year than last - which also correlates heavily with Alsheimer predictions.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Spike

The most buck activity I witnessed here is southern Lancaster Co., Pa. was on Nov. 11 and 12. Again matching up with Alsheimer's moon therories.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

It's daylight. Every year we go through these theories and every year the rut in most places(except places like Texas or Alabama) is from Nov 10-16th. Been that way for 40 years. At this time of year you should be hunting everyday as long as you can. If you had to plan a hunting vacation, just block out this part of the month for the rest of your life.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coastal NC is also an exception to the rule. Ourrut that precedes most of the East Coast.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 AM

i believe the fullmoon phase stuff makes your hunting go sour turns deer nocturnal,you can believe all that magazinegarbage if you want,,,,,,,it still boils down to the day light hours sun position and temps will play a big role into the whole rut thing as well,i could care less if there in lock down or not,,,,,you still have to be in the woods if you want a shooter,you cant expect to shoot a nice buck if your only going to go hunting when a magazine tells you to ,then the laugh would be on you,,,,,,,you want to be in the woods waiting that big boy out,since you scouted him out since july you know his every move right down to where he poops, it the only way your going to get him,,,,,,,,full moon will make that guy nocturnal so fast it would make your head spin,,,up here in wisconsin they were chasing for three weeks now,,,,,,,shot this big guy on the 9th i knew his every move every trail,morning spots ,i even knew which bucks he chased off.when i shot him he was in the search mode head down and cruising shot him on the run,i use to shoot pheasants on the fly with a bow i knew i could take him out.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: davidmil

It's daylight. Every year we go through these theories and every year the rut in most places(except places like Texas or Alabama) is from Nov 10-16th. Been that way for 40 years. At this time of year you should be hunting everyday as long as you can. If you had to plan a hunting vacation, just block out this part of the month for the rest of your life.
Amen