Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Archery v Gun season >

Archery v Gun season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery v Gun season

Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Archery v Gun season

I need some help here.

I'm researching hunting in Oregon and have come to a significant barrier, I think. I was just told by Oregon fish and game employee that Cross bows are illegal in any manner in Oregon. My only choice is a devise called a draw loc. I have to be able to pul back a compound and it locks it at full draw. I personally couldn't draw it, secondly, with my shoulders I couldn't lift it to shoot it. I use a rest for my crossbow but can't imagine a rest for a compound to sit on.

I'm also told that there is no mixing of archery and gun seasons. It's illegal to hunt with any bow during gun season. Says it's a safety issue and many other states follow the same rules. Since there is the same blood running through most state administration in Oregon it's hard to bring about change. But change is what I do I guess.

Can some of you guys in different states help me? Are archers and gun hunters allowed on the same public land at the same time?

I am shocked.[]
Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Archery v Gun season

Here in WV we can hunt with archery tackle during gun season but can not hunt with a gun during archery only season
Old 11-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

In Texas archery gear can be used during general season.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Here in WV we can hunt with archery tackle during gun season but can not hunt with a gun during archery only season
Same here in MI. As long as you wear hunter's orange, you can hunt with archery equipment during the firearm seasons.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM

I believe in Missouri you have to have a firearms tag to hunt....but i think you can use a bow and wear orange. but I might be mistaken.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

x3 For being able to use archery tackle during firearms season. It doesn't go the other way around though.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:03 PM

Gujn season for dear started 2 weeks ago and I have been hunting with my bow the whole time. I do need to wear blaze orange though just like the gun hunters, but only during gun season. I know that there are guns in the same woods as me because my dad and my brother use them while I'm in there with my bow. They have been successful, but haven't had any shots yet.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

1shotkill1993

What state are you from?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

From these responses I'm keeping track and will try to use this info to make changes in Oregon. Glad I bought 314.76 acres.

Thanks so far for the help. I am shocked as I learn more about Oregon. I have to retain my CA residence so I have a lot of wiggle room.